Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 04:23 AM

Default So How is Microsoft Vista?

Anyone got the new Microsoft paradigm yet? How is it? I'm thinking about getting a new computer, and I might get Vista for it.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: So How is Microsoft Vista?

I bought a new computer about 3 weeks ago and Vista Home Premium was installed on it. I haven't had any problems at all. PS, FTP, and AP run just fine. About the only programs I copied over were Dreamweaver 8, Photoshop CS 2, and QuickBooks Pro 2007 and they all run fine.

It's a RAM hog, my CPU/RAM gadget shows about 33% of my 2GB RAM being used when Vista loads up.

It can be somewhat annoying in that some programs ask for authorization to run (similar to Zone Alarm if you ever had that) every single time. Some programs only asked the first time but pokerstars asks every time. It's probably a setting I need to change somewhere but whatever. I guess it's a pretty good feature to prevent spyware/malware type crap from running for the average user though.

Voice recognition is pretty cool and works suprisingly well despite some videos on YouTube that show otherwise. You could surf 2+2 and post replies without ever typing if you wanted. Here's an example of someone who isn't a [censored] using speech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9we3TdrUA
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 AM

I cant see much difference on the surface frankly. A few gimmicks, authorisation to run many things. Also many useful programs arent supported yet. Some aspects of divx for example but there's more, especially if you have any legacy piece of hardware (external router, drive, etc) may not function properly. Clearly this will improve rapidly though.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

external router

[/ QUOTE ]

???????
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

external router

[/ QUOTE ]

???????

[/ QUOTE ]

yea its connected to the scsi interface via the lpt port and the driver doesn't load
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM

Vista will clearly replace XP slowly and there are still a lot of improvements to be made but all and all it's ok. you can disable some of those permission warnings too, it can be really annoying.
also Vista has NL HOLDEM preinstalled [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm "getting" vista ultimate as we speak, mostly because of the built in media center. I heard it's quite good though, and I suppose it is, after all they did borrow some features from apple's os.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

external router

[/ QUOTE ]

???????

[/ QUOTE ]

yea its connected to the scsi interface via the lpt port and the driver doesn't load

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only external routers, but I heard of issues using internal ISA routers as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm "getting" vista ultimate as we speak, mostly because of the built in media center. I heard it's quite good though, and I suppose it is, after all they did borrow some features from apple's os.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a media center PC but haven't used it yet to watch TV. Need to go buy a coaxial cable to run to my PC, guess I can do that today. The guy said it's just like Tivo/DVR where you can tell your PC what programs to record/pause live TV/etc... I've used the "media center" software to watch some movies but forgot to try out the remote control.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Voice recognition is pretty cool and works suprisingly well despite some videos on YouTube that show otherwise. You could surf 2+2 and post replies without ever typing if you wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a new computer from dell last month and it came with Vista Home Premium, but I haven't yet seen this voice recognition feature you're talking about. How do I get it to work? (I didn't even know there was such a thing built in to Vista until just now reading your post.)