Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/24) (Spoilers in Thread to come?)

i think baxter and safai are great for HSP....they give lots of action and are fun to watch, as opposed to the countless other nit amateurs (and some pros...ala jen harman) that theyve had on previous shows/seasons.

and seeing farha implode is VERY interesting....if im not mistaken this was before the infamous SBRUGBY matches this summer where farha went off on a tirade. you can see him starting to bubble now on HSP4.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM

After being felted the second time, Farha started bitching about the dealer taking too long, or some crap like that. Only the beginning...
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Silent Mike is definitely good for the game, whether he's good or lucky when it comes to his decisions. High stakes games need to have wealthy amateurs who are not afraid to put a lot of money on the line, or they'd usually be boring. They really got the balance right this season so far, IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 PM

In Phil's mind, I suspect it works something like this :

1. If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every time
2. Make insurance bets to eliminate luck
3. ?????
4. Profit !

PS Also, when he wanted to insure the last card of the second flop, I think most of the table nearly did kick him in the nads.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

I personally like the running it twice since it is something we don't see off screen. I want this High stakes show to be closest to the way they handle Bobby's Room,etc...a look inside high stakes poker.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and seeing farha implode is VERY interesting....if im not mistaken this was before the infamous SBRUGBY matches this summer where farha went off on a tirade. you can see him starting to bubble now on HSP4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I`d like to see Sammy being on a tirade. Any more news on what Fahra did against Townsend?
In that previous HSP episode he seemed to be on tilt big time and didn`t care no more about losing more money at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then look at the time he was at the FT during this years WSOP. He lost every insurance bet, placed in like 3rd or 4th, and broke even because of all his insurance losses.

Or are you just saying in cash games it makes sense for PH?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Phil's belief that those insurance bets are actually +ev to him is the only explanation for his insistence on making them that makes sense. I mean, he can't be actually afraid of losing his stack, can he? Haven't we all lost our stacks more times than we care to count. I am sure Phil has, as well.

I haven't really watched the WSOP, and I had no idea he was doing it there too. I don't know how he would calculate the insurance ev in tournament setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as an example it went like this. Phil has KK somepne else has 77. PH asks Ivey for insurance and Ivey tells Phil he's a 3-1 fav. PH believes him and they base it on that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There was one situation where Ivey got the odds real good on PH.

I think PH thinks he's so unlucky that he's unjinxing himself by betting against himself. But after losing/winning a couple times in a row he should have given up IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After being felted the second time, Farha started bitching about the dealer taking too long, or some crap like that. Only the beginning...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we all have heard about Sammy being a dealer-abuser. Still, I can imagine how annoying it would be to be losing 3 buy ins and have everything taking a long time for TV.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My perspective as a viewer/fan is that "running it twice" and similar things have ruined the action...there are so few large, scooped pots because, whenever any real money goes into the pot, a tedious negotiation ensues and the result is usually the anticlimactic running it twice/chopped pot. Also, I think the players demonstrate a consistent overall pussy-ish-ness in most of these situations, and I feel people should be willing to gamble for the amount of money they decided to put in the pot and not look for every possible way to hedge their action after the money goes in

[/ QUOTE ]

if you consider these guys playing the game for your amusement then yes .. you're right.. .you're being cheated from your carnal pleasure of seeing one player felted by another. if you consider the fact that you are watching professionals, putting their bankroll at risk, then you should be able to understand the reasoning for such activities. hellmuth taking insurance should make sense. he got his money in with the best hand. now he takes insurance to minimize his losses if the huge suckout happens. if you're playing the game for a living rather than for the rush you should be able to see the sensible reasoning behind these moves.

of course if your playing .1/.2 on pokerstars there is really no need to insure your 27.75 all in bet is there?

HSP came to be to allow folks to see what a big game is like. it was not brought to television so that viewers can get a rush from watching players get busted. yet, in the four seasons so far we have seen many a player get felted haven't we. nothing to complain about in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My perspective as a viewer/fan is that "running it twice" and similar things have ruined the action...there are so few large, scooped pots because, whenever any real money goes into the pot, a tedious negotiation ensues and the result is usually the anticlimactic running it twice/chopped pot. Also, I think the players demonstrate a consistent overall pussy-ish-ness in most of these situations, and I feel people should be willing to gamble for the amount of money they decided to put in the pot and not look for every possible way to hedge their action after the money goes in

[/ QUOTE ]

if you consider these guys playing the game for your amusement then yes .. you're right.. .you're being cheated from your carnal pleasure of seeing one player felted by another. if you consider the fact that you are watching professionals, putting their bankroll at risk, then you should be able to understand the reasoning for such activities. hellmuth taking insurance should make sense. he got his money in with the best hand. now he takes insurance to minimize his losses if the huge suckout happens. if you're playing the game for a living rather than for the rush you should be able to see the sensible reasoning behind these moves.

of course if your playing .1/.2 on pokerstars there is really no need to insure your 27.75 all in bet is there?

HSP came to be to allow folks to see what a big game is like. it was not brought to television so that viewers can get a rush from watching players get busted. yet, in the four seasons so far we have seen many a player get felted haven't we. nothing to complain about in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post!