Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Very important question!!! Had $1800 worth of fraud!!! Help!

Hello. This is the first time I have posted on this site, but I am a frequent visitor of the site. I have a very big problem. Someone stole my bank account info and started depositing money onto PokerStars.com. The total got up to about $1800 before my bank contacted me about this. After that, there was a collection agency asking me for $2600 (after fees and all I suppose). They want me to pay this money, even though it wasn't me playing. Is it even legal for PokerStars to let someone deposit money from a checking account? It was a direct deposit from my bank account into this person's account, which I thought was no longer legal in the US. They were depositing this money back in December. I have talked to my bank. They gave me the money back on the transactions, but then went to PokerStars and asked them for the money back. They then went to e-checks who went to a collection agency. The collection agency now wants the money from me. I do not need info about what to do with my bank, but rather if it is legal or not for this person to be depositing money from a bank account into an online site (I believe through e-checks). Please give me all the info you can!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Very important question!!! Had $1800 worth of fraud!!! Help!

In December echecks were still being done. The legality is a whole other question, but so is gambling from the US in general. Not sure if you are looking for a discussion of the legality of US gambling/transfers, etc. There are other threads discussing this. For a simple answer regarding echecks, yes, there were sites that were allowing echecks from the US in December.

I don't think the legality/illegality of echecks to gambling sites should be your argument to the bill collector. the fact that someone stole your money and it was illegal because you didn't do it should be your argument.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello. This is the first time I have posted on this site, but I am a frequent visitor of the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do a lot of new posters add this type of line, as if it makes a difference?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a very big problem. Someone stole my bank account info and started depositing money onto PokerStars.com. The total got up to about $1800 before my bank contacted me about this. After that, there was a collection agency asking me for $2600 (after fees and all I suppose).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I call [censored] here.... especially the last part.

And we didn't contact the police... why, exactly?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
And we didn't contact the police... why, exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife got a call Friday night from some kind of credit tracking agency about suspicious charges on her debit card. she hasn't used the account in about a year, and had 12 bucks (but instant cach reserve) in the account. We went to the bank saturday, filled out the appropriate affidavits. The Banker didn't mention going to the police, and we did not go to the police. SOP, I believe.

--Zetack
Old 03-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Its illegal for someone to deposit money into their online account from your bank account without your permission, so yes it is illegal. Its also very difficult to do this if the perp does not have access to your bank account. Of course, they might be able to do it with inside access at the poker site side (to confirm initial security deposit amounts, etc).

Not that it matters to your question of legality, but did you have a PokerStars account that you had previously funded through this bank account?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the help. I did contact the police, but I would have to hire a lawyer to even have a chance at getting some of the money back. I could end up losing even MORE money doing this. It would be hard figuring out who did this, very hard. I figured it'd be a lot easier if it wasn't even legal in the first place, before you even mention the theft involved. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM

And wongboy, I did previously have a PokerStars account, but not with this account. I have two accounts, a personal account and a business account. The money being deposited into PokerStars illegally was from the business account. I haven't played online in a few years. I thought it was illegal to play online, and then I read it was just illegal to deposit from a bank, or something along those lines. From the looks of it, it seems it was deposited to the PokerStars account from the bank account through e-checks, which may or may not make it legal.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot for the help. I did contact the police, but I would have to hire a lawyer to even have a chance at getting some of the money back. I could end up losing even MORE money doing this. It would be hard figuring out who did this, very hard. I figured it'd be a lot easier if it wasn't even legal in the first place, before you even mention the theft involved. Thanks for the help everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the bank refunded the money into your account. If so, how has this actually cost you money at this point? Isn't it just in collections? I definitely wouldn't pay it if it was money that was stolen from you.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all calm down and start thinking clearly. Your bank refunded your money so at this point you aren't out any cash at all. First thing you need to do is to have your old account closed and have your bank open a new account with a fraud notice so that they will watch it closer this time. Do not switch banks (yet).

Next step is to file a police report. Even if the police don't do anything about it you need this report for your protection.

After you file the report contact the collection agency and demand to speak with a supervisor. Don't let yourself get browbeaten by the person you speak with. Explain to the supervisor what happened and get a mailing address and fax number as well as that person's name and title.

Mail and fax a letter to them explaining what happened and who you spoke with at their agency. Attach the police report as well as a letter from your bank manager (get one). Follow this up with another phone call in about 2 weeks.

Don't bother to get Pokerstars involved as they won't be able to help you. echecks and their collection agency may contact them but you won't get any help from them.

Finally: Keep detailed notes on who you spoke to and time and date it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 PM

"chatard5"

He has brothers? 1,2,3,& 4 ?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]