Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Ugh, tough fold but I think it\'s right. Thoughts?

Why does villain play the nut flush like this? He's worried you're semi bluffing with KsQ and won't pay off on a river blank but WILL call the shove? He thinks you flat call the flop with a 4 and put him on an overpair?

He might play QQ/66 this way as it makes it more likely that you have a flush that can pay off (particularly an underflush before a 4th spade comes), but that's a pretty narrow range.

Hate his shove with Axs, and really don't believe the player you described playes it this way (despite the pm).

That said, your turn lead / sizing looks like a C/F line on a scare card, and the stop and go line can definitely mean different things from different players.

Your line looks weird to him. His line looks weird to you. Difference being, you have a hand.

I call and expect a AsA/KsK/AsQ enough of the time to be profitable.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:53 PM

The turn spot was kind of awkward because I needed to balance two things in making the bet:

1.) Make sure it doesn't look like I'm b/f'ing, thus I need to bet large enough that it doesn't look weak.

2.) I need to bet small enough that I can get value from Qx and other made hands that I beat. If I full pot it or near that I think he's folding most hands of his that I beat that I could get value out of with a smaller bet.

I think a bet-size of like $39/$40 accomplishes that best and I wish I had made my bet a bit larger. Still, I really don't see what hands he would be pushing the turn with that I beat. He has to at least consider the possibility that I have a flush considering my line (I mean how more like a FD/flush can my hand appear lol), and so I doubt he's shoving Qx/kk/aa without a spade for sure.

If he has a spade and he thinks there's the possibility I have a flush, then him shoving is stupid because he can call and re-eval on the river and possibly outdraw me.

Lastly I doubt he ever does this with air, maybe if he had like AsJx he might tilt shove or something but I still think that's pretty remote given my read of this guy as a solid player.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM

I agree with you number 2. But whats up with number 1? It would be a good thing if he thinks you are bet/folding this, thus shoving with a large range?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 PM

I'm trying to get the villain to flat call the turn, in general when I show strength on the turn and he shoves I no longer like my hand that much (obv given I folded to the raise). I see what you're sayin though. And perhaps that's another option, betting even a bit smaller than I did and then get him to raise either as a bluff or for protection/value with a worse hand.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, your turn lead / sizing looks like a C/F line on a scare card, and the stop and go line can definitely mean different things from different players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't edit for some reason: Meant turn looks like a b/f obv.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

i can't remember the last time I saw a TAG check call a flush draw that is really all I have to say.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1.) Make sure it doesn't look like I'm b/f'ing, thus I need to bet large enough that it doesn't look weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't get this. Why not bet weakish (which you did) and HOPE he shoves over the top as a bluff.

I just don't understand your play. Are you folding every hand except the nut flush when you c/c the flop on a twoflush board and the flush hits on the turn? How often do you have the nut flush in this spot?

When you c/c the flop he will tend to think that a player like you is unlikely to have a flush draw. That's what makes actually c/c the flop with a flush draw from time to time good, but not if you're going to fold when you hit!