Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Default My thoughts on last nights Idol..

I thought it was very weak. VERY. Diana Ross night? Christ. The field is already incredibly weak. Toss them a bone here. They have no idea what to do with Diana Ross songs as was proven last night. Give them an R&B night or a Pop night. Something they can work within. I'm sure country night will be next.

Anyway, the only standouts IMO were Melinda, Lekisha and Jordin.

Guys are completey and utterly getting PWNED this season. I thought all of the guys were completely forgetable. At this point it's Melindas or Lakishas to lose.

End of story. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: My thoughts on last nights Idol..

We just have to keep in mind that this isn't a singing competition. A guy will AT LEAST make the top 3. At this point though, I can only see Blake or Sligh pulling that off. With that said, Sligh had a poor performance last night and Blake can't sing.

Best male vocalists right now? It'd have to be Sligh and Phil. This is pretty sad because both are mediocre, and Phil is, at best, inconsistent. Blake can't sing but his "original" style is his edge. Chris R is dropping off of my radar as I don't think he take it to the next level.

We've seen good stuff from Sligh. Despite his crappy performance and apparent ego, he has the stuff to make the top 3 in this weak field if he can win back a decent fan base.

Jordin is a standout for sure, but she worries me. Every week I wonder if it's going to be the week that her youth and inexperience brings her down.

As you said though, it's becoming more and more clear that this is Melinda's or Lakisha's to lose.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM

I doubt that a male makes the top 3. There is no one good enough. NO ONE. The men are just so terrible and many of them are off key and are not good singers.

But at least the top two women are GREAT. Simply great.

Overall, the top 2 this year are much better than the top 2 last year, but the group of 12 this year as a whole is much weaker than the group of 12 last year.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall, the top 2 this year are much better than the top 2 last year, but the group of 12 this year as a whole is much weaker than the group of 12 last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the top singer may be the best contestant ever on idol. I just watched all of her performances on youtube and she is seriously flawless.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a guy was not in the top 3. They don't sing well, they don't have much charisma, and they are not versatile.

Sanjaya has the best chance to improve. We've already seen the best from the rest of them.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:05 PM

i agree totally on the singing. 2 outstanding women and maybe a couple of good women. all 4 of them being black.

but is there as much entertainment value in the characters this year? i'd say last year that all of the top 7 performers made a buzz and could sell tix to their tour. covais in 11th too, although he didn't sell tix on tour (wasn't on it)...

can you see pre-teen and teenage girls absolutely dying to see anyone from this year's idol??... maybe sanjaya, blake, richardson, but i'd say daughtry, mcphee, pickler, hicks, ace trounce all of them on the popularity front
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM

It would make a good prop bet - Will a male be among the top 3 finalists?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it would (would want favorable odds though as strong consensus would be yes) ... i'm inclined to say no..... there was one year where the last 4 were women. fantasia's year. what year is that? year 3 i think (could be wrong)
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM

I hear ya, LBK. Your thoughts were way too novel and important to fit into that silly ***Official*** thread.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's almost guaranteed that a male will be in the top three, and I can put together a reasonable scenario where two make it.

At some point, I really believe that vote-splitting is going to cost one of LaKisha/Melinda a spot in the top three; easy to see if it's, for example, LaKisha, Melinda, Blake and Chris S. in the final four. Of the remaining women:

- Haley will be out soon and is not a factor;
- Stephanie is very good (last night was an abberation), but won't get past mid-pack at best (say, number 7-9, after the dead money is out) due to Melinda and LaKisha
- Jordin is pretty good (I like Stephanie better) and seems to be getting pimped; the judges' comments were waaaay too favorable for her performance last night. She's not going to improve much this season despite her age - c'mon, she's been performing for most of her life, it's not like she just got handed a mic for the first time last month. I don't think she'll make it past mid-pack either, say 5-7.
- Gina, though not the best singer of the women, is in a unique niche and could make it fairly deep on that basis; no vote-splitting here. Still, when it comes down to her vs. the big two and a couple of guys, she's out - say 5-7, like Jordin. It's possible, though, she could slide into the final three.