Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 AM

Default What is Barack Obama\'s game plan?

Does anybody care to speculate? It looks to me that he is falling prey to the classic media treatment of putting a promising, personable type (whether it be in politics, pop culture or other fields) on a pedestal for a while and then, when it starts to look like that person is actually getting somewhere they tear the person to shreds. He seems to me to be a decent, intelligent sort and he's got to realize this.

So what's his plan? I don't think he can seriously consider running for president but would attempting to get the Democratic VP nod be a wise choice?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: What is Barack Obama\'s game plan?

he intends to build bridges - probably be a centrist like Clinton -

he tells the story in his book of a Senator trying to get compromises to a bill that would have gotten it 70 votes and Karl Rove saying flat out they didn't want 70 with changes, they wanted 51 votes -

it's a symptom of their sickness to tack as hard right as possible and aim for 51 percent - Most of America is sick of this and is looking to work for more then the bare mininum needed to get re-elected yr. after yr - to that end, I think Obama is going to work very hard to cross some of those aisles -

whether the repubs will work to build halfway or whether they'll resume obstructionist tactics remains to be seen, but at least it won't be cause they're only showing up for work 3 days a week - the days of do-nothing congress are over for a while (I hope) - but it doesn't mean a few Repub's won't do everything possible to make trainwrecks set up under their watch look like it's the democrats fault -

I have high hopes for Obama - rock and roll - and I'm almost always right in predicting the trends - don't see it necessarily in 2008 however.

rb
Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 AM

Would you be more or less likely to vote for Barack Obama if you knew he had fathered a black child?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 AM

I had my own "Say it ain't so, Joe" moment when I heard that Obama was getting dragged down by Illinois sleaze. Obama bought a house recently and at the same time, a guy named Tony Rezko bought a house next door. Rezko paid list price, but Obama got a discount, implying that this was basically a 5 figure bribe. Rezko is now under indictment for corruption charges and although none of the charges are related to Obama, Rezko is going to follow Obama around for a long time.

That said, it is absolutely possible for Obama to run. He's not going to have trouble raising money and he has a lot of credibility with the base and the media. The lack of a resume is a problem, but Edwards was runner up with a resume just as scanty, so its doable.

Also, you guys have to remember that Obama is a liberal. Now that Feinstein is out, Obama is probably the most liberal candidate out there. His voting record has gotten very liberal ratings from the groups that keep track as it was in his last job in the Illinois Senate. The reason he sounds like a moderate is that he is doing the Bush "uniter not a divider" thing, it's just that 1. He is better at it than Bush and 2. Unlike Bush, he actually does want to find common ground on things like religion. Also, I think there is a component that he wants to persuade people to become liberals by pointing out why what the believe meshes with liberal phlosophy, which is one of the best parts about him.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Get in front of every camera he can find. Get on the cover of every magazine he can. Say nothing and fool everyone into believing its something. Have no plan and pass it off as masterful.

Get elected President.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whether the repubs will work to build halfway or whether they'll resume obstructionist tactics remains to be seen, but at least it won't be cause they're only showing up for work 3 days a week - the days of do-nothing congress are over for a while (I hope) -

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting the call the Republicans obstructionists when the other party has refused to allow appointments to get a vote without the threat of a filibuster. I am very disappointed with the direction the Republican party has gone hte last few years, but I think a lot of that comes from reaching out to the Democrats (the rest of my anger at Republicans comes from pandering to the southern religions).
Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you be more or less likely to vote for Barack Obama if you knew he had fathered a black child?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Replace Obama with John McCain and this was actually asked in a "Push Poll" as part of a dirty tricks campaign by Bush supporters in the South Carolina primary.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Replace Obama with John McCain and this was actually asked in a "Push Poll" as part of a dirty tricks campaign by Bush supporters in the South Carolina primary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea what he meant by that remark.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get in front of every camera he can find. Get on the cover of every magazine he can. Say nothing and fool everyone into believing its something. Have no plan and pass it off as masterful.

Get elected President.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worked for Bush