Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Sharkscope, Pokerdb, etc

In the October 2007 issue of Cardplayer, in an article on page 26 (couldn't link it, sorry) it states that Pokertars has sent what essentially is a "cease and desist letter to all of the major ranking sites, which theorectically could kill off . . . a thriving industry for poker data.

I don't think it's catastrophic, but I do find Sharkscope for sng's and Pokerdb for mtt's handy to check out how good the competition may be when getting deeper into tourneys.

My question is: I'm still using these sites, so is it that they are just ignoring Pokerstars cease and desist?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Sharkscope, Pokerdb, etc

These sites and the whole culture surrounding them are terrible for online poker imo and it'd be cool to see them disappear. It won't happen though.

I wonder what it'd do to big live games if there was a big ranking list in Bellagio that'd say "Sammy Farha -10m" etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These sites and the whole culture surrounding them are terrible for online poker imo and it'd be cool to see them disappear. It won't happen though.

I wonder what it'd do to big live games if there was a big ranking list in Bellagio that'd say "Sammy Farha -10m" etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fun to look at, but you're absolutely right. I know at least one losing player who has quit PokerStars b/c he heard sharkscope mentioned in chat, looked up his own stats compared to others, and realized how terrible he was.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM

these sites are good and bad, I just don't like having people seeing my wins and loses, and also having them announce it in the chat. I just find it bad imo.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM

id prefer the fish to stick around tbh
Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 AM

Sharkscope is already on 'Stars list of banned programs, so I'd advise against having it running while you're on the site.

FWIW - 'Stars' Ts&Cs already forbid datamining (i.e., you can only run Pokertracker at the tables you are playing, while 'Tilt allows you to datamine to your heart's content.

I guess if datamining and/or stats are crucial to you, it's pretty clear where your should play. It's not like all the sites are doing this.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 AM

they are the worst thing for online poker
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fun to look at, but you're absolutely right. I know at least one losing player who has quit PokerStars b/c he heard sharkscope mentioned in chat, looked up his own stats compared to others, and realized how Broke he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fyp

Ps: I have a few friends with quite bad sharkscope graphs, they just go there when they are doing well.

And if someone quits playing because Sharkscope makes them realize they have a gambling problem , then thats good.

ToT
Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM

only if you give a [censored] about that individual and his/her family. certainly not good for the games
Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are the worst thing for online poker

[/ QUOTE ]

but Nat, the greatest poster online, invented them
I stand by the poker db

the rest are crap