Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Just turned pro got a couple questions?

Hello. I just started playing poker a living about a month and a half ago. I started playing the 20 SNG on Full Tilt and have now moved up to the 30 SNG and a couple 50's. I have been reading alot about attainable ROI and was wondering if I have just been running good and if so what is to be expected at those levels mainly the 30 and 50's. I am also playing the normal ones not the Turbos.

My ROI is 35%. My avg profit per game is $10 and my total profit is 3300 over about 350 games. Also I keep 50 buy ins for each level and have heard of 20 buy in downswings and was wondering if I should up the amount of buy ins to 75 or 100. You can sharkscope me for more details under Toerazor I play on Full Tilt. Thanks for all your help much appreciated. Keep grindin.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Just turned pro got a couple questions?

I find it funny that you are a pro, and yet can't tell if you are running hot...
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 AM

50 BIs is fine so long as you can move down when the downswings hit (ie you can live off of grinding lower stakes than your accustomed to). I highly recommend having a backup roll stuck away in a high interest savings account.

And to echo Devin, if you truly don't know if your current ROI is sustainable you jumped into this profession pretty recklessly.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 AM

You are way above sustainable....the fact that you don't know this means you shouldn't be a pro.

I know this and I haven't played sng's in quite a while as I play cash games now (ironically for a living...for a while anyway, I'll be attending law school next year...if I were superstitious I'd cross my fingers on which one.) So actually I'll play for a living through that too...then I guess I'll look for a job...unless I happen to progress far enough that getting a job as a lawyer would cost me money or that it's close enough that the extra happiness of not having a job is worth it. (Of course gotta factor in pension plans and all sort of stuff.)

Anyway, OP, just from you not understanding sample sizes and sustainable winrates and such I doubt you are good enough to be a pro...although possible I guess. Also from you average stake I guess a little low to be a pro unless you can maintain a real good ROI (I'm thinkin like 12%) and play large volume: like 1500-2000 a month.....though I guess even lower than those totals is possible. Just depends on retirement plans (if you plan to play pro long term), as well as how many tables you can play at a time, and how much money you need to live, etc.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 AM

i lost 30 buyins in my last 80 27s, when my roi for my last 1500 games was >13%. (20 tabling)

it seems impossible, but it happened. i should make a post of all the hands i busted on. im losing with like AA < A8o when the flop comes A59, seriosly. allin pf or on flop when they have to go runner runner and they hit it everytime. as a matter of fact i think i still might be dreaming the whole thing.

to answer your question, you should have >100 buyins. also, find real job to maximize $/hr.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:55 AM

Anytime I have a good winning day, I like to calculate what I would make over the course of a year at that rate and then think of myself as a pro.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM

lol, you can have way more then 20 BI downswings... think 100.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

to answer your question, you should have >100 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 10-20-2007, 02:38 AM

Thanks appreciate it. I know the average ROI should be around 20% for a good player I was just wondering if this level was attainable. I also play live cash about 5 times a week so I have a live bankroll also which helps. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, you can have way more then 20 BI downswings... think 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inconceivable.