Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

If you're quitting poker, make sure you also quit 2+2. I've quit poker for a week or two before (in order to apply for jobs), and just ended up spending the whole time browsing poker websites instead.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 AM

Janelle,

Your life is a mess right now, and so are your emotions. I understand and even agree with much of what has been said about the absolutely necessity of controlling your emotions if you're going to be a successful poker player.

However, I'm not dealing with someone who has cancer, a significant other who is at least someone jealous of poker, and all the other things that you're going through.

So being even more emotional than you usually are is completely understandable, and by all means, do what you need to do to get the rest of your life under control before you get back to serious poker playing.

Other than that, I have two other comments:

1. After you get your personal life somewhat under control, don't forget the IRS. You've won and lost a lot of money in a short time, doing something that you've never done before, and this could make the IRS intensely interested in what you're up to. Get your records together, and get some good tax advice. Don't add the IRS to everything that is coming down on you.

2. Soon I'm going to post a thank you in the beginners forum, adressed to all of those who have helped me along the way. You are at the top of the 2+2 list, you will be mentioned prominently in my post, and I'll be rooting for you when you come back.

Hang in there, and do what you need to do before you come back to the tables.

Clif
Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to be a donkament player then you can certainly let your emotions run free reign. Read some of the (excellent) stuff my Tommy Angelo - he has a website with a lot of archive stuff. Also watch an episode of High Stakes Poker and see how much emotion a Barry Greenstein or Patrik Antonious show before, during and after a hand. Then watch Mike Matusow or Phil Hellmuth. Then decide what kind of player you want to be.

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

Will read TA like you said Dave. I think although I am emotional I am nothing like Mike Matusow or Phil Hellmuth. I don't have a whole rant lol in chat when I get bad beat. I am in good about controling that type of tilt behavior, but I did work myself up over the whole FTOPS thing and that was, in retrospect, a bad idea.

I get a little overtly excited sometimes. I am extremely passionate. Usually always in a positve way.

I wanted to win it so badly. I set myself up for a big disappointment. I think I can learn to deal with losing much better if I do look at it more as a hobby then a competition or something I MUST succeed at.

I am feeling much better. My bf lol of all people really helped me on the whole poker topic. He isn't a big fan of it or me playing it, but remarkably he said something that really changed my attitude about it. He said, "What do you care if you lose all your poker money. It is all profit isn
't it? It is not like you have any expenses or are expected to pay for school."

This is all true. I don't even need the money right now. I realized my disappointment is not about money but about losing.

I think my disappointment is from unrealistic goals I set for myself and now I will focus on trying to have real goals which I can actually accomplish or LOL even better don't have goals. Just play the game and enjoy it like Troll said.

I think when people started telling me how good I was I felt the pressure to do extremely well because I wanted to be the best. I think if I just enjoy myself and do what I know how to do I will end up being the best over a long period of time with experience.

Your posts strike a cord with me Dave because you have a lot of experience and realize I am in the early stages of evolving into a poker player.

LOL Gordo.. I think maybe you want me to quit poker because you don't want to have to contend with me later! That is too funny I am NOT quiting poker.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first is, just play donkaments at a comfortable, treat it like a hobby level. That is, just write off the cost. Secondly, emotional stability *can* be learned.
bdd

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear u Dave [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I treat poker like a hobby

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a guy, you would have been flamed to death for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It surprises me that I wasn't flamed actually. I regretted posting it the next day, expecting to get flamed to death, but I am not afraid to express my emotions even though I know some of you think they are silly and would love to make fun of them.

Like Runner said... I am not like you... I probably cry like 2 times a week at least... I cry when I hear a beautiful song or watch a sad movie, so what. You guys I am sure cry once maybe twice a year. I know that and I get it but I am not going to become a man. I don't think I have to become a man to be a good poker player. Just because I cry doesn't mean I am weak. I am just not afraid to express my emotions.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Janelle,

2. Soon I'm going to post a thank you in the beginners forum, adressed to all of those who have helped me along the way. You are at the top of the 2+2 list, you will be mentioned prominently in my post, and I'll be rooting for you when you come back.

Hang in there, and do what you need to do before you come back to the tables.

Clif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww TY Clif. Yeah your posts have always been helpful to me too!

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't have to worry about the IRS yet because I only cashed out small $s. Most of the money I have is still in my account and you don't have to worry about it until you cash out!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 PM

I came out to my parents pretty recently and I learned the hard way that things away from poker can totally destroy your game at the tables. I took the majority of my money out of the poker sites had a 2 week break and I feel like I am enjoying it more and playing better
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] this is what I am hoping for.. when I come back I will be relaxed and ready for the game... feeling refreshed.

LOL I still haven't told my dad about poker yet... man... that is still for another time!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM

They still don't that I play poker. My dad will probably never know as he said he doesn't want to see me again