Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 PM

Default how much is the standard amount to raise post flop?

i usually raise 3x-4x. is this too small? i've always thought of a pot sized raise as a pretty hefty raise. i'm just wondering what the standard is.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: how much is the standard amount to raise post flop?

If you are just raising a cbet on the flop, 3xs would be pretty standard, but it depends so much on pot size and what you are trying to accomplish with your raise.

If the pot is $20 and someone bets $1, a 4x raise is nothing.

If you are raising with a big draw or on a bluff and want the fold equity, you can shove for more than a pot-sized raise.

If you are raising to protect your hand and charge draws, pot-sized raise is standard because it doesn't give someone the right price to call.

If you are raising for value, a pot-size raise can be too large and scare people off. People often min-raise sets/nuts because they want someone to call.

So it depends on pot size, stack sizes, the size of the bet to you, and the purpose of the raise.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:24 AM

It depends on what you think he has, and what you're trying to do with your raise.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:26 AM

STack sizes, draws out there, his hand range, your hand, etc...

If I have AA and raise it to $8 preflop, and a shortstack with $20 calls, I'll sometimes check the flop when it's dry, or make a smallish $6 bet or something like that. If I'm playing the same hand against a deepstack, I'll bet close to the pot though, as I want to get more money in.

And if you are just bluffing, look at the flop texture, and come up with the right amount to bet. Tip: most donks don't care if you make a $8 or a $16 cbet on a dry board, they will fold anyways.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:29 AM

I play on party but I have a betpot script and I have to say the number it gives is intuitively too large almost always. assuming the bet into you was a standard 3/4 potbet I'd be raising that more than 3x but no more than 4x i think that's a fine general rule.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:52 AM

its completely situational
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM

In no-limit, assume that a pot-sized raise is "standard" post-flop, but adjust your "standard" raise to something else (usually a little smaller, but sometimes bigger) based on the situation.

Calculating a pot-sized raise (psr) is a little tricky if you've never done it because the idea is to raise an amount that will give an opponent exactly 2:1 pot odds to call the raise. So, if the pot is $20 and your opponent bets $15, then a psr is a raise to $65. That way, the original $15 bettor has to call $50 more to have a chance to win a pot of $100 (2:1 pot odds).
Old 11-10-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are raising to protect your hand and charge draws, pot-sized raise is standard because it doesn't give someone the right price to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this correct? I was under the impression that on the flop, a player with a four flush has odds of about 2:1 against, so that if you bet the pot, this is giving at least 2:1 pot odds. What am I missing?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM

1.86:1 against hitting it by the river, but 4:1 against hitting it on the turn, and you can make him call another bet on the turn that charges him to see the river.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually raise 3x-4x. is this too small? i've always thought of a pot sized raise as a pretty hefty raise. i'm just wondering what the standard is.

[/ QUOTE ]

(edited for spelling)

Finho is basically saying that the correct answer to any poker question is--ok, everyone say it with me--It depends.

Near the end of HOH1, Harrington has a good section on giving odds as it relates to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker. In other words, bet enought that villian doesn't have the correct odds to go for his draw, but not so much that you're the one making the mistake.

For example, a raise of half the pot would be fine against a gutshot draw, whereas a pot size raise would be overkill and a mistake.