Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

Industrial economy. Just started. First year is a lot of math.
Some science and some useless work on a computer.
Basically getting an engineering base.
Then comes comes economics/logistics etc.
Not sure if i am going to remain here or switch to International economy which is focusing much more on economics.
I am interested in the subject and since it's international and partly in french and in english that will give me the possibility to work abroad, which i want to do.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 AM

Psychology:

Very interesting classes, usually easy, the stuff you do outside the classroom is what is more difficult. Connecting with profs is a must for lab work and other opportunities. Very general undergrad courses so all your classes will be very interesting as you can choose which ones you want to take. If you dont know what to do with your life this is a good major for everyone likes someone who has good people skills and understands thought. A lot of good salesmen are psy majors. However to make any money right out of school doing psy work you need to at least go to grad school. A very rewarding major imo.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 AM

Political science. I like the theoretical aspect, but the actual research science is interesting too (as long as it's qualitative; quantitative research is boring as hell).

I don't think the major matters that much, though. Do you know that you want to major in one of the liberal arts or are you going for something more "useful"? I ask because were really talking about two completely different educations there. In the liberal arts, you're going to learn how to think critically, do close reading, writing skills and research methods no matter what major you choose. If you're thinking about going outside the liberal arts your education is going to be much more narrow, but more immediately practical.

Liberal arts pros: qualified to do a huge range of jobs, better overall understanding of how the world works, once you master one it's easy to pick up another (liberal arts subject, that is)

Liberal arts cons: won't make as much money immediately coming out of college (however, statistically, you'd actually pass other majors on average later in your career), explaining to your family why you're doing it, all that [censored] writing

Summary: I guess you have to decide whether you're going to do liberal arts or other first. Then it's all about priorities.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Political science. I like the theoretical aspect, but the actual research science is interesting too (as long as it's qualitative; quantitative research is boring as hell).

I don't think the major matters that much, though. Do you know that you want to major in one of the liberal arts or are you going for something more "useful"? I ask because were really talking about two completely different educations there. In the liberal arts, you're going to learn how to think critically, do close reading, writing skills and research methods no matter what major you choose. If you're thinking about going outside the liberal arts your education is going to be much more narrow, but more immediately practical.

Liberal arts pros: qualified to do a huge range of jobs, better overall understanding of how the world works, once you master one it's easy to pick up another (liberal arts subject, that is)

Liberal arts cons: won't make as much money immediately coming out of college (however, statistically, you'd actually pass other majors on average later in your career), explaining to your family why you're doing it, all that [censored] writing

Summary: I guess you have to decide whether you're going to do liberal arts or other first. Then it's all about priorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extreme exaggeration. I went to a liberal arts school and got a Math and a Computer Science degree. So I feel you don't have to choose between going after a career type major at a major school (BS) and a liberal arts degree (BA). In all honesty, no job is gonna care.

Also, I got a job right out of school as a Business Analyst making 40k, which compared to most of my friends was slightly above avg.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Economics. Excellent major if you have no idea what you want to do with your life. The concepts that you will pick up in economics can be applied to any job in existence. The ultimate all-encompassing major.

It's more about applied concepts rather than math. Unless you're interested in going to grad school, you don't need any math more than introductory calculus.

Here's an example of classes that can be taken through the PSU Economics program:

Economics of Sports*
Health Economics
Environmental Economics
Labor Economics*
International Economics*
Developmental Economics
Economics of Discrimination*
Transitional Economics
Forecasting
Econometrics
Economics of Public Policy
Urban Economics
Corporate Economics*
Money and Banking
Macroeconomics*
Microeconomics*
Competitive Strategy*

----------

*Classes I have taken
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Biochem. Basically its the study of chemical processes in living organisms. It deals with the structure and function of cellular components such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules.

First and second year you take a bunch of general science courses (physics, bio, organic chem, cell bio, genetics, math) to lay the ground work for 3rd and 4th year. It's then that you actually get into the meat and bones of the field. Interesting major and most people use the degree for post graduate studies, be it med school, dental school, grad school and even law.

Overall I'd highly recommend it.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Engineering Physics:

Avoid this major if you don't like math.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Engineering Physics:

Avoid this major if you don't like math.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this technically under the branch of physics or engineering, like if you apply to an engineering porgram would this fall under that branch of majors?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the answer. I'm guessing finance would be better (coupled w/ math) for IB / finance - related fields right? Thing is, I can't find Finance as a major at any Canadian university. Is that a US thing? Anybody from Canada know of finance being a major?

[/ QUOTE ]

What school do you plan on going to and do they have a website?

[/ QUOTE ]

University of Toronto is one of my first picks.

www.utoronto.ca is the site, but the one w/ all the majors is this one: http://www.study.utoronto.ca/
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Math

Its just indescribably beautiful =) Especially combinatorics, probability theory, and to a lesser extent mathematical finance.