Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 4, Bankroll management

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In terms of Bankroll management, what can I do to get a sick heater?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have such good understandings of the game and I'm sure your next big score is just around the corner. Honestly, I'm surprised you only have that one time big score under your belt? Or is it that you just don't practice what you preach?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can answer that, publicly, since it may provide some insight (doubt it)?:

Well, Rocco, back last year, I basically only played cash games, for the wrong reasons, without thinking at all about the game. I had one "big score" when I luckboxed in a tourney. You could play this game for 20 years based on emotion and "competitive spirit" as opposed to logic/match and not make a buck. You could find yourself 3-betting in all the wrong spots for a year if you are so inclined.

I only started playing tournaments and actually posting/reading in SSMTT about February of this year. A couple of months I made a lot of really brash plays - I think experimentation is important to an extent. I play Part-time and have like 200 tournaments and 300 SNGs under my belt since then. Maybe the biggest problem is that I don't play enough. I also think I learn slow, but I say this with as little ego as possible, I learn well.

I'd say that I started "practicing what I preached" in July of this year. If I fall into that category of "better poster than player," well that sucks. But my plays are merging very close to my posts. And that can't be bad.

fwiw, of the 200 tourneys I've played, I've had a few "nice scores." Just not the coveted 2 - 5K, which I'd love to have and ocassionally gripe about not getting to (it would behoove me to stop the griping).

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry,

I've played MTTs for 20 months or so (not always exclusively) and I have never had a 4 figure cash. I've had two very near 4-figure cashes, but never had a 4-figure cash. Part of the reason is of course that I play in a lot of "low variance" MTTs with small fields that produce lots of cashes in 3 figure ranges. But I don't think it is all that uncommon to go 300 MTTs w/out a major cash (depending on the types of MTTs you play).

Sherman
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks, Sherman. Please see amended response, I think there is a lot of good stuff there (I tried to make it more wisdom orientated and less self-[censored]-aggrandizing).

Barry
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Sherman. Please see amended response, I think there is a lot of good stuff there (I tried to make it more wisdom orientated and less self-[censored]-aggrandizing).

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, Barry. Very inspiring and it probably applies more or less directly to lots of poker players. Even if it seems like everyone starts winning as soon as they begin posting here, it's about as far off from the truth as it can be. So, I think your post might inspire those who are still waiting for the big score and will work as consolidation for those who thinks "everyone" is winning constantly.

Based solely upon quality of posts, I won't be surprised if you and Sherman starts racking up nice scores very soon. You are definitely among the top 10 regular posters in SSMTT.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Great discussion here!

Bond, you should either sticky these or make the main
post have an index to your past wise words.

-ZEN
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM

I made a personal calculator that I update and adjust constantly.

Currently it runs over 35~ games with 10 spots for HUSNG, 10 spots for low variance games, and 10 spots for NLHEMTT, 1 spot for LHE, LO8, Stud, Stud8, and Razz and 1 for HORSE.

It self adjusts to allow me to take shots depending on my current trend of running; I'm about un-bustable. That said, I tend to run on the nit side of the MTTSNG side of it because I can't redeposit and I'm a recreational player. The HUSNG and MTTSNG serve to control my bankroll variance and increase my ability playing HU and late-game. When I make FTs, I plan to win them - mostly because I'm the most experienced shorthanded and HU player at the table; at least that's my goal.

But yes, my bankroll is entirely self-adjusting and allows me to make shots (I punish myself a lot for taking bigger shots if I sat into say, the 50/50 on FTP and can't unregister. I calculate higher than my allotted and my calculator auto-adjusts the rest of my games to average out my buy-ins to make up for the shot.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM

I've been playing mtts since feb. of 2006, I've probably played somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 mtts and haven't had a 4 figure cash. I've had 4 or so 3 figure cashes, I've been cl in the final 5% of a few big guaranteed mtts and have gotten super unlucky to not make a ft of a big pay out mtt. Of course since I've had a decent bank roll and what I think is a solid understanding of poker for small stakes I've concentrated mostly on sngs until this month.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:57 PM

great post again!
they should be added to the anthology and that post needs an update aswell!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 PM

I've been away awhile. but gona add my 2 cents to the argument...

IMO, the key to learning MTTs and BRM, especially when building a bankroll is to find a site which has a large array of smaller field tournaments.

This will hopefully allow you to play many tournaments in a session and allow you to become far more familiar with the bubble and end-game scenarios, whilst also learning about the early and middle game (although these are significantly shorter here and will need to be worked on when you play in larger field tournaments).

This is mean you cash more regularly, even if you are a bad player, but more importantly, will highlight areas of your game you are weakest at. For example, do you always arrive near the end game with too few chips?

The more experience of the different stages of the game you get, the better and quicker you will learn and adapt your game.

I cant think of better advice than this, other than reiterate the points already made by Bond (100x buy-in, 5% of BR on a shot)

Mr.P
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Forgive me for being a tard, but I can't find part 3 . . . any help?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=3#Post12396000