Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Did I angleshoot this guy?

[ QUOTE ]
It's not an angleshoot but it's not hard to understand why this would upset somebody. That's one of the reasons I consistently keep my mouth shut when in this sort of situation.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

This basically nails it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 PM

this is completely standard. nh.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. It is a move for cowards

5-10 NL Reno Peppermill
I had a similar situation where I was in a big pot with a guy that I have played a lot with, when he starts kicking me under the table and whispering for me to fold and that he had the nuts(yes, there is one other player in the pot) I fold my 2 pair which I was WAY good, other player folds a.s.s hole shows 72

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You got PWND!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM

I'm just laughing at how easily he believed you.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Incredible. What is the game coming to with p**sy incidents like this. Next, someone will be bitching that you bluffed them off a pot "that's not fair I want my mummy." And he's even got you self flagellating about how wicked you might have been. You can lie as much as you like before, during and after a hand, poker is a game of deception, that's the point. You could even have changed your mind about showing him, say "I'll tell you later" if your conscience is so pricked.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM

One day a guy tells me "check it down?" Against my usual policy I said I would, only because it was more a drinking table than a make $ table and I didn't really care (plus I didn't have much). Check, check, check, check, check... He bets the river. Did he angle shoot me? Should I be pissed?

Bad karma comes back to haunt you, and I don't even believe in that kinda thing. But I did bust him heads up shortly after when I semi-bluffed the turn and caught a gutshot on the river.

Al
Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this could be called disrespectful in a way. But not an angleshoot. I would never do it to a regular that I play with everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this, especially the last sentence which I think you need to give more weight to if you will be playing live poker often. It's just bad for business.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM

I love that play. I won't usually show it or offer to show it, but there is no better bluff than the "we're buddies, I don't want to take all your money, I've got you" bluff.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM

This is not an angleshoot by any stretch.

However, it does have a bit of an edge to it and I wouldn't do this to a donator, or a friend, or in a game that was light and fun.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM

What made this nasty was that you used an offer that fishy players often make sincerely. Alot banter is clearly not meant to be taken seriously, the guy obviously thought you were trying to be nice, when you were actually still gaming him. While this is clearly legal and within the realm of conduct to be expected at the poker table, it's unpleasant in human terms. Other examples of similar situations could include personal insults designed to put someone on tilt or induce a call (I've seen people say stuff like "you better fold you cowardly piece of crap" when they want a call, comment on people's playing ability or personal attributes, including weight and race, to induce tilt). It could include scoping the card's of a neighbor who doesn't protect his/her hand well enough. It's all a matter of degree in many situations, and you'll have to decide how much you want to push them. I personally don't believe they give a significant lasting edge -- in fact I think they may be negative because they get you distracted and feeling negatively -- so I prefer to focus on getting an edge through my strategic knowledge and observation of players, and leave most of the coffeehousing an other antics to others.