Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Visit to Thailand

Ok, First I will say I didn't want to post in that huge leviathan of living in Thailand thread etc. Old people like me get lost in a thread like that. Anyway, I am just going to visit/vacation in Thailand, arriving Nov 18 (BKK airport) and leaving Dec 2. I am taking a free and easy approach and have made no real plans yet except getting there.

I have yet to pick a hotel to stay at in Bangkok. I'm not looking for extra cheap; in fact 50-100 USD a night would be fine, at least for a few days before getting my bearings. I have done some searching but Bangkok is mind boggling in largeness and districts. Through channels not revealed I learned that the Sukhumvit and Banglampoo areas are places to stay but what that means is I have little idea except that there are many things to do close by. I will of course wish to visit temples, museums, palaces, Chinatown, walking tours etc as most do. I have a Lonely Planet book on Thailand so that will be with me.

On November 24 there is a festival in Chiang Mai, Loy Krathong I think it is called, and I was thinking of flying there and attending that. Going to the Beach for a few days is also something I have contemplated.

I have been so busy with work that I have had little time for any planning so far. So any helpful advice would be appreciated. I don’t speak Thai. I have traveled in Asia before so I have some idea of the chaotic nature of the place that I will be plunging into.

And of course, meeting some people would be interesting also. Thanks in advance.

-Zeno