Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Default pokerstars $1,050 wsop sat. shortstacked

27 people left. 9 packages. i'm the shortstack with $3,300.
blinds are 200/400, 25 ante.

folded to the cutoff who raises to $1,000 (started with 4,500). i have QJo. is this too weak to push? my thinking is that i haven't played a hand in awhile. i'm running out of time to make a move. he is getting desperate as well and could be stealing with almost anything here. also, i'm thinking he has the right amount of chips to lay it down if he doesn't have a hand. if he calls and loses he's pretty much done. he would be left with 1,200.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: pokerstars $1,050 wsop sat. shortstacked

also, if i push, what is your calling range if you are the other player?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:46 AM

I guess this is why Sats are profitable. You are too far away from the finish line to be folding your way to a ticket. Both you and the villain should be attemtping to play optimal shortstack poker. The other guy should be open - shoving from the cut - off with a 4500 stack in this situation.

If you push over the top the pot will contain circa 2800 and it will be 2300 back to him to call. He should probably call with his entire range given that he is getting over 2 / 1.

So you should fold now as you have Q high and no FE. And just go all - in irrespective of your cards when you next get an opportunity to open a pot.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is why Sats are profitable. You are too far away from the finish line to be folding your way to a ticket. Both you and the villain should be attemtping to play optimal shortstack poker. The other guy should be open - shoving from the cut - off with a 4500 stack in this situation.

If you push over the top the pot will contain circa 2800 and it will be 2300 back to him to call. He should probably call with his entire range given that he is getting over 2 / 1.

So you should fold now as you have Q high and no FE. And just go all - in irrespective of your cards when you next get an opportunity to open a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving any 2 next hand would be pretty bad IMO
Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why i thought he was trying to steal on the cheap, only raising to 1,000 instead of pushing. i was hoping he would fold instead of calling the rest with a hand like a9o. my reason is because QJo is at the very bottom of my possible hands here and he is going to be behind about 95% of the time. he thought for awhile but eventually called.

QJo was the best hand i've had in 2 orbits. my chips were quickly vanishing and i just couldn't get anything reasonable to push with. but i can see now that i should have waited a little longer though. i think i do okay open pushing in the end with a wide range but i'm not comfortable when someone else has opened. when someone else has opened, i think i play tighter than most at the end and its killing my results. i play mostly cash games so still trying to figure out shortstack poker.

not that the results matter, but it was a cruel, unnecessary tease for the dealer to flop a jack if he was going to put an ace on the turn. lol.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving any 2 next hand would be pretty bad IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point would you start open - shoving any two? That is what I do everytime from late position with 8BBs or less. I would be interested on a different take.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
27 people left. 9 packages. i'm the shortstack with $3,300.
blinds are 200/400, 25 ante.

folded to the cutoff who raises to $1,000 (started with 4,500). i have QJo. is this too weak to push? my thinking is that i haven't played a hand in awhile. i'm running out of time to make a move. he is getting desperate as well and could be stealing with almost anything here. also, i'm thinking he has the right amount of chips to lay it down if he doesn't have a hand. if he calls and loses he's pretty much done. he would be left with 1,200.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, pushing is fine, especially if you think they will fold a decent % of the time.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 PM

I like a fold here. I'm assuming you're BB. If you're SB/button then I like a fold even more.

Ryan
Old 06-23-2007, 07:40 PM

Oh I thought Hero had 4500 too, my bad. Theroetically I would call, the pot odds are just way too good to fold. Just calling and hoping to hit a flop is fine. The only possible explanations for not calling are:

1. Based on what you know about your opponent, their small raise to 1k is likely to signal a very strong hand for them, as otherwise they would have moved allin

2. You feel that losing the 600 chips by calling drastically impacts your chances to steal profitably, and if you kept those 600 chips your opponents would fold much tighter than usual, thus potentially giving you more +EV pushes in the future, when compared to the +EV call you have available to you currently.

If neither of the above are true, you simply must at least call.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:56 PM

This is a fold.

It is possible you have FE in a satellite, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The small raise could mean a big hand, but this is not certain in a satellite.

Look to open push with this stack for maximum FE.

Pick on large and medium stacks playing correctly cautiously. Don't pick on other small stacks.