FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Full Tilt Account hacked for $40,000

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a FAQ for security measures?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is about all I could find on their site:

"Banking and Transaction Processing - Real Money

Full Tilt Poker conducts their banking and financial affairs in accordance with generally accepted standards of internationally recognized banking institutions. Full Tilt Poker follows and adheres to applicable laws pertaining to transaction reporting and anti-money laundering laws and regulations.

Prize Payouts - Real Money

Full Tilt Poker does ensure that there is adequate financing available to pay all current obligations and that working capital is adequate to finance ongoing operations. Full Tilt Poker does pay winnings and account balances promptly upon reasonable demand.

Security - Real Money Section

Full Tilt Poker Inc. uses 256-bit SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, and also does everything possible to protect user-information off-line. All users' information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, a billing clerk or a customer service representative) are granted access to personally identifiable information. ALL employees are kept up-to-date on security and privacy practices. Every quarter, as well as any time new policies are added, employees are notified and/or reminded about the importance Full Tilt Poker places on privacy, and what they can do to ensure that user and member information is protected. Finally, the servers that store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment, behind a locked cage. For additional information, please refer to the Privacy Agreement on this site."
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a FAQ for security measures?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...p;vc=1&nt=6

[/ QUOTE ]

Very helpful for everyone, thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 PM

What makes you think the source of the security breach was your computer?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM

A possible explanation of the gift certificate thing was that the felon bought them intending to cash them out to another account, but then received some good advice / had second thoughts about the possibility of being tracked.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM

buy a mac

Has anyone had access to your PC? 40K is a lot of money to most people, and even those that you consider close aren't immune to jealousy. It's sad, but if you're more successful than your "friends," sometimes they feel bad about themselves and wish you harm.

It sounds like someone who know you was smart enough to gain access to your PC, and was also jealous of you. He/she also feared that taking the money would ultimately lead back to them, so they decided to use the opportunity to live it up like a high stakes gambler. You suffer, and in a sick way they feel good.

I hope something like this isn't the case, but it's something you must consider.

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think the source of the security breach was your computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, full tilt says it wasn't them and told me it must be my computer(the generic default keylogger excuse). I can't think of anywhere else unless it was intercepted in transmission between servers.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A possible explanation of the gift certificate thing was that the felon bought them intending to cash them out to another account, but then received some good advice / had second thoughts about the possibility of being tracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes sense
Old 03-27-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone had access to your PC? 40K is a lot of money to most people, and even those that you consider close aren't immune to jealousy. It's sad, but if you're more successful than your "friends," sometimes they feel bad about themselves and wish you harm.

It sounds like someone who know you was smart enough to gain access to your PC, and was also jealous of you. He/she also feared that taking the money would ultimately lead back to them, so they decided to use the opportunity to live it up like a high stakes gambler. You suffer, and in a sick way they feel good.

I hope something like this isn't the case, but it's something you must consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I sure hope that wasn't the case, I highly doubt it, but I am a pretty trusting individual. Maybe a little too much.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It appears that they accessed my email account as well and deleted the confirmation emails that were sent when they purchased the gift certificates. Because of this I did not realize what was happening until it was too late.

I had all windows security updates running, an anti virus program, a software firewall, a hardware firewall and I never downloaded suspicious files/executables. I am not sure what more I can do. I went out and bought vista and new firewall/anti virus software but I really don't feel much safer.

I am not sure what to do, I feel pretty helpless. I am going to contact the police today, but I'm not sure what their power is in this type of situation. Does anyone else have any suggestions or feedback?? Has this happened to many others?

man feels like every time I post here, I'm posting something crappy that has happened [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

sol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that is awful! 40K is a lot of money to lose. You might not want to format your old hard drives yet. Might be useful as evidence or clues. Buying new hard drives might be better.

Seems like you're pretty safe on security. Don't know what else you can do.