Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Prof wants to add more class??

Ok, I was not very clear. When I said "I think I missed the first class day that she announced this", I did not mean the first day of the semester. I meant 4 days ago, Wednesday (which, from the way she was talking about it on Friday, was the first day that she mentioned adding another class).

This is not something I have known about since day 1, and is not at all part of the syllabus.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM

ganjasaurus rex, you should do an "ask me" thread in here, im sure there are a lot of things people in this forum would like to know about the other side of their academic lives.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM

tabako,

changes things imo. it definitely puts you in a bad position that the rest of your class didn't say anything.

professors are convinced that their subject is the most important thing in the world and rather than simply cut down what they cover, they add more classes. students don't give a [censored].

it would be a lot stronger if you actually had a time commitment, because then you could go to the dean with this.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 AM

Uhhh I would never take this sitting down. It's absurd to add extra class.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 AM

1. if this 'extra' class simply reviwed what was taught in the week as sort of a recap --->reasonable imo

2. if this 'extra' class covered content to be tested that wasnt covered in regular scheduled class-->absolutely unreasonable

personally i'd never let #2 happen. first tell the prof u dont personally approve. if that doesnt work (which it likely wont) go to the Dean or wutever
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I was not very clear. When I said "I think I missed the first class day that she announced this", I did not mean the first day of the semester. I meant 4 days ago, Wednesday (which, from the way she was talking about it on Friday, was the first day that she mentioned adding another class).

This is not something I have known about since day 1, and is not at all part of the syllabus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you definitely have something to complain about and rightfully so.

The person to speak to is not the Dean (not yet). You should go to the dept head/chair first. If s/he doesn't help you, go to the Associate Dean. Then the Dean. Then the Provost (it shouldn't go this far).

If you make a stink about this (and you should), your prof will likely have to back down, since this was not in the syllabus and/or catalog. Lastly, you do not need the support of anyone else in your class during this process. You have rights, and it doesn't matter if your fellow classmates are too sheep-like to join you in protesting this addendum to the class.