Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (week of 4/16)

scamming is fun
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is three hours that you saw. Blinds are 40 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
40 minutes for the first 3-4 levels, then 15 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's so disappointing, that's even worse than WPT. At least they have a better excuse, they need to make sure that all the games run the same amount of time. The only way to ensure it is to have a blind structure like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you asked every single pro who has played a WPT final table and a Poker After Dark event, every single one would say the PAD structure is more favorable to the player. In PAD, you start with 100x the big blind and the levels move up very slowly. In most WPT events, only the chip leader will have 100x the big blind (not to mention the presence of an ante).

This is not a criticism of the WPT - this is simply a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
WPT is the same: you get plenty of play early on, it's only a crapshoot when it's time to actually split up most of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's compare apples to apples; when it's down to 6-handed (or as you put it, "time to split up the money,") what are the relevant structures?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is three hours that you saw. Blinds are 40 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's so disappointing, that's even worse than WPT. At least they have a better excuse, they need to make sure that all the games run the same amount of time. The only way to ensure it is to have a blind structure like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you asked every single pro who has played a WPT final table and a Poker After Dark event, every single one would say the PAD structure is more favorable to the player. In PAD, you start with 100x the big blind and the levels move up very slowly. In most WPT events, only the chip leader will have 100x the big blind (not to mention the presence of an ante).

This is not a criticism of the WPT - this is simply a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]
WPT is the same: you get plenty of play early on, it's only a crapshoot when it's time to actually split up most of the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's compare apples to apples; when it's down to 6-handed (or as you put it, "time to split up the money,") what are the relevant structures?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not apples to apples. In PAD, when you're down to 6 handed, it's not time to decide who gets the money, it's time to shuffle up and deal. The point is that in both WPT and PAD, you start out with a very good and playable structure, but then it turns to crap just at the most important point of the tourney. For WPT it's the final six, for PAD it's HU.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not apples to apples. In PAD, when you're down to 6 handed, it's not time to decide who gets the money, it's time to shuffle up and deal. The point is that in both WPT and PAD, you start out with a very good and playable structure, but then it turns to crap just at the most important point of the tourney. For WPT it's the final six, for PAD it's HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Cunningham and Juanda went up, the stacks were approximately 50k/70k. Blinds were 800/1600.

I don't know exactly how to compare that to a WPT final table structure, but as I remember most of them, few players have that many BBs when "money-time" comes around. And, for the record, I would argue "money-time" in a WPT event is NOT the final table. There is often very little difference between 4th, 5th, and 6th. "Money-time" is usually top three (as is the case in most tourmanents).

At this point, I barely know what I'm arguing about, so unless something clearly erroneous shows up in response, I'll just leave it at that.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK. It was posted in one of the earlier weeks' threads with, IIRC, no contradiction and no scent of BS about it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Board: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Ali: "Neither player has clubs."

[/ QUOTE ]

thinking back, i remember this too, very strange at the time...
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sheiky is the kinda guy you'd love to break a pitcher of beer over his head at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Board: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Ali: "Neither player has clubs."

[/ QUOTE ]

thinking back, i remember this too, very strange at the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he was just reading the hands. He didn't say it had anything to do with what was on the board! :-)