Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather
Have a thumb sticking out of your chin? 8 47.06%
Live in a world where Toby Keith music was the only music available? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Fire Jack Effel Now!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> </font> Obviously, you all are bitter because you were not selected to work this year’s WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would WANT to work at this year's WSOP?! It's a mess!

I don't care how qualified you are. If you suck at running the WSOP, then you suck at running the WSOP.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> </font> Obviously, you all are bitter because you were not selected to work this year’s WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would WANT to work at this year's WSOP?! It's a mess!

I don't care how qualified you are. If you suck at running the WSOP, then you suck at running the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never judge someone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes!

Jack Effel is doing a great job, considering all of the circumstances he has had to over come this year!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The structures are fine; hell, that's about the last thing I'd be complaining about this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is this and what have you done with Nath? The late-stage structures absolutely suck compared to last year. Early rounds are fine, maybe better.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

btw, I wouldn't be surprised if the structures were designed or explicitly approved by certain members of the player committee. Harrahs clearly planned to significantly reduce the time needed to play FT's in NL events, so I doubt they are surprised by what has happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

What players would endorse late-stage crapshoots and why? I'm still confused why Harrahs would explicitly try to truncate the final table, and I also don't get how any self-respecting member of a "player committee" could allow it to happen without advanced outrage.

I like Daniel, but I definitely am sick of his inability to get things improved, despite always claiming to have the correct answer in advance and being involved in the political process. What's the point of being involved if you're powerless to change anything?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What players would endorse late-stage crapshoots and why? I'm still confused why Harrahs would explicitly try to truncate the final table

[/ QUOTE ]

Players who play badly postflop would prefer a structure that forces everybody to play more preflop, which reduces the edge that good players have on suckers. Any pro player would not have any interest in that though.

IMO, the FT structure was changed so that there would be less to film and that the "exciting" hands (all-in confrontations, monster bluffs etc) would be seemingly more common and thus entertaining to those who are watching.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For all of you idiots that call Jack Effel incompetent, let me give you a little insight to his poker knowledge and experience…….In 1997 he started working for Sams Town Tunica as a dealer, two months later he was promoted to a dual rate supervisor position. Late November 1997 he took a position at Horseshoe Bossier City as a Poker Shift Manager, and he remained working there in that position until January 2000. He then transferred to Horseshoe Tunica that same month, so that he could attend college. He took a position as a dual rate supervisor, and continued to work full time, and attend college full time! In December 2004 Jack graduated from OLE MISS with honors “Cum Laude”, and began running tournaments at Horseshoe Tunica.
In January 2005, Jack worked the WPO Event in Tunica. Upon the completion of the WPO, Jack was given the opportunity to travel with the WSOP Circuit, and after 4 successful events, he was appointed Assistant Tournament Director for the 2005 WSOP. After the 2005 WSOP, Jack continued to travel with the WSOP Circuit as Co-Director. In February 2006, Jack was promoted to Poker Room Manager at Horseshoe Tunica. In May 2006 Jack was appointed Corporate Director of Poker Operations for Harrah’s Entertainment, and he relocated to Las Vegas, Nevada. During Jacks tenure as Corp. Director of Poker Ops for HET, he also served as Co-Director for the 2006 WSOP, and at the completion of the 2006 WSOP, Jack was put in charge of all Tournament Operations for the 2007 WSOP.

So, for all of you A-HOLES!!!, who think Jack Effel isn’t experienced enough to run the largest Poker Tournament in the World, you better guess again, because he has more talent, and is more experienced than anyone else in the Business. Don’t hate Jack just because he is smart and talented, and has moved up the corporate ladder faster than you!

BTW, Jack has been a full-time employee of Horseshoe and Harrah's Entertainment for the past 10 years! Not a Temp!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he has past experience. No one in this thread is questioning that.

That being said, there's way too much evidence of this event being a total disaster. Too many events? Maybe. Lack of proper infrastructure? Absolutely. Is that Jack Effel's fault? Not sure. Maybe it's the powers that be at Harrah's trying to milk it for more. He's certainly to some extent involved, and ultimately responsible.

The Main Event looks like a massive storm cloud to me at this point. Maybe Harrah's will get lucky and have only 5,000-6,000 players and not botch it. I doubt it.

The concern has gone from ensuring a good event for players to ensuring a good event for shareholders. The perfect event would be great for BOTH. At this rate it will be neither.

Of course, they could potentially learn from this and make 2008 the best event ever. We're poker players, we're much too skeptical to believe that at this point.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 AM

Obviously, the Peter Principle come to life.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and I also don't get how any self-respecting member of a "player committee" could allow it to happen without advanced outrage.

I like Daniel, but I definitely am sick of his inability to get things improved, despite always claiming to have the correct answer in advance and being involved in the political process. What's the point of being involved if you're powerless to change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple answer seems to be that nobody on the player committee gave them more than a cursory glance.

I like Daniel also, but he admits in a rawvegas.tv video that the structures sat in his box but he never read them, so he now has no right to complain. If he knew how crapshoot-y these events would all be on Day 2, I wonder if he would have booked as much bracelet bet action?

As a side project I've been running numbers on previous WSOP structures; I haven't yet found a Series worse than this year for the limit events.

This does us all a huge disservice since we felt that the players' interested were going to be fairly represented with Daniel, TJ Cloutier, Chris Ferguson, Jennifer Harman, Howard Lederer, Scotty Nguyen, Robert Williamson III, and Maureen &amp; Bob Feduniak all on board.

The last thing poker needs is another cog in the WSOP machine falling asleep at the wheel.

Pollack, Effel, et al: If by some chance you guys still end up with the WSOP next year-- put a real poker numbers guy on the Player's Committe. And pay him.

ps. I'm laying 8-5 that Harrah's won't own or run the WSOP next year. PM if interested.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pollack, Effel, et al: If by some chance you guys still end up with the WSOP next year-- put a real poker numbers guy on the Player's Committe. And pay him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky and Mal? hmmmmmmm
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm guessing you guys think you could run the WSOP better????? Yeah right!!!! Now, that would be a CLUSTER [censored]!!!! Give Jack a break, he's doing a great job!! There is always going to be room for more improvement!!!