Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Live low limit 08

Was wondering if it is really worth it to play live 08 at low levels, considering the rake. What is the lowest that some of you more seasoned players like to play to over come this? Is 4/8 with a kill worth it or higher?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Live low limit 08

The lower the limit, the easier it is to overcome the rake. At the Taj 3/6 level, you only need a modicum of skill an discipline to beat the rake handily.

The real question is whether you can earn enough too make a decent living. I think a good player could pull $15 an hour from the typical 3/6 game at Taj, but it would be excruciating. There is no actual poker going on at these tables.

Effen
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM

The lower the limit, the easier it is to overcome the rake.

Uh, I don't play live... but I think your statement is wrong in general. Of course it depends on the skill levels of the opponents at different levels and the structure of the rake, but it's generally accepted that a heavily raked low-limit game can be unbeatable. As for the Taj 3/6 specifically I will happily defer to your opinion.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:44 PM

why do i feel that u ask this question in one forum or another at least once a month?

anyway...i play 4/8 no kill O8 and have no issue beating the rake. however, i play very long sessions, play very disciplined, and nut-hunt in FR games. ppl still pay u off. u need to understand that any bet that comes out of ur hand is for value, and nothing more. thre is no bluffing, only buidling equity and Vbetting.

just put in some long hour sessions (at least 8), and play snug as a bug. you will have hour stints where u get no hands, or everytime u enter a pot, u dont come close to piecing it...get used to this. bring entertainment...and urll b fine

if 4/8 no kill is beatable with a $4 drop (at 40+ pots, which are the average (avg pot at TS on a Fri-Sat is 10bb)), then i dont see why most games rnt.

gl
Old 03-21-2007, 06:01 PM

I agree that 4/8 is very beatable. People find a reason to play any and every hand. All you have to do is tighten up and be ready to push that big hand to the max. I bet low draws pretty hard sometime and also big card draws. I like to gamble with the hands a little more because the pot can get so juicy. And if I lose it I lose it, I will get in another hand where I will profit.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Every O8 live game I've played 6/12 and below have been some of the softest, juiciest games I've ever seen (this is in NorCal). 7+ players to every flop, 3 or 4 on the average showdown. Rake is barely a concern above 3/6 if the game is loose and the take has a reasonable cap.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Mostly wondering because I haven't yet played above 3/6 Live 08. I've played only a little 2/4 and mostly 3/6. I jsut moved up to 4/8 LHE and I can now see why it is not worth it to play LHE below this level because of rake and tips eating away at your $. I'll give 4/8 and above a try and see.

Split suit, your ideas are very good. I just got some phones that will come in handy cause I to play very tight in 08 and I often fold for long periods PF. Your wrong though, I ask this question about every 5 weeks in diff. forums. Get it right please!