31-40 4 2.56%
40+ 5 3.21%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Best MSNL Coaches

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Metetron said he coaches by having the student record a 1 hour vid and he watches and re-records with his own thoughts input into the vid. Love the concept, was wondering if anyone else did this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the idea from The_Bryce. He is a limit player though.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this sort of method infuse some unconscious result oriented thinking into things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably unavoidable to a small extent; the better the coach the less extent.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 PM

can anyone (or the man himself) comfirm whether MDMA is coaching and what he charges these days?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 AM

he's $500/hr but i'm pretty sure he's not accepting any new students at the moment..
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Metetron said he coaches by having the student record a 1 hour vid and he watches and re-records with his own thoughts input into the vid. Love the concept, was wondering if anyone else did this?

[/ QUOTE ]

ive thought about doing this for people and i think its a great idea. i dont see why he wouldnt just charge his hourly coaching rate and charge an hour worth for 45 minutes of video or something. esp since you could record your thoughts like if u didnt have internet or somewhere where you didnt even have the opportunity cost of playing

[/ QUOTE ]

What both The_Bryce and I do with it is watch the video, takes notes, compose some topics to talk about, then record the audio. It takes about 3 times the length of the video to do this.

It takes longer but you get a much higher quality product then just me watching the video and giving my comments on the spot. Some might prefer the quick and cheap way, I think my students get a better experience this way, however as it allows me to see their play and take it in as a whole before making comments. I'm not opposed to changing this in the future if the feedback is bad though.

For the guy that said something about results-oriented thinking coming out of this. I pause the video at every decision to write down what I would do in this spot. Only after doing this do I unpause the video. There are times I tell the player to make a fold and they call and snap off a bluff; I don't change my recommendation in the video here even though I was wrong that time.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 AM

I want patrick as a coach. That boy's got the devil in him.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to do the same, FWIW.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive thought about doing this for people and i think its a great idea. i dont see why he wouldnt just charge his hourly coaching rate and charge an hour worth for 45 minutes of video or something. esp since you could record your thoughts like if u didnt have internet or somewhere where you didnt even have the opportunity cost of playing

[/ QUOTE ]

What both The_Bryce and I do with it is watch the video, takes notes, compose some topics to talk about, then record the audio. It takes about 3 times the length of the video to do this.

It takes longer but you get a much higher quality product then just me watching the video and giving my comments on the spot. Some might prefer the quick and cheap way, I think my students get a better experience this way, however as it allows me to see their play and take it in as a whole before making comments. I'm not opposed to changing this in the future if the feedback is bad though.

For the guy that said something about results-oriented thinking coming out of this. I pause the video at every decision to write down what I would do in this spot. Only after doing this do I unpause the video. There are times I tell the player to make a fold and they call and snap off a bluff; I don't change my recommendation in the video here even though I was wrong that time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol The Metetron coaches the exact opposite of results oriented thinking. I think just having to record a video in the first place and talk out hands for an hour gets forces you to think about hands/theory and less about results.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried this too, with good results. Except I don't record new audio, I send back a text file to save time, I think my students appreciate the cheaper price (I charge an hour for a lot more than an hour's work), but I'd definitely consider changing it.

As far as results oriented thinking goes, most of the time I'll pause the video on each individual street I'm commenting or whatever, so most of the commenting on a particular hand is done once it gets to showdown.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:17 AM

considering getting a coach, mostly for 6m(prob geared towards 10/20 rather than 5/10). would really appreciate some recommendations for higher limit coaches(prob playing 25/50+ now).

whats sorta unusual is I've been doing very well lately, but know I could definitely improve my 6max game a lot.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:26 AM

i'm not even going to say anything in this thread