Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM

Default back into 2 pair vs TAG

villain is a TAG regular, well known and considered solid by the forum.

he's 19/16/5.5 btw

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP: $328.30
CO: $198.70
BTN: $93.65
SB: $192
Hero (BB): $440.35
UTG: $265

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $7</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $5

Flop: ($15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12

Turn: ($39) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30

River: ($99) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero???

thoughts on flop/turn plays? briefly considered folding preflop (being oop vs good tag w/ AJ isnt that exciting) but we're semi-deep so figured ehh [censored] it it cant be that bad.

whats up with river play?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: back into 2 pair vs TAG

whats up with pf. this is a tough hand to play OOP even on a TP board. and its situations like this that make it tough.

b/f or c/c
Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats up with pf. this is a tough hand to play OOP even on a TP board. and its situations like this that make it tough.

b/f or c/c

[/ QUOTE ]

yea folding is definitely a solid option preflop. but its not like I'm afraid to make some moves on raggy board or dry flops that likely missed him, so I figured I could take a flop and if I hit something huge like 2 pr, we're 150bbs deep so its not that bad, is it?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:19 PM

well we both agree c/f is out of the equation. so it leaves b/c, b/f, and c/c

the river hasnt really changed the strength of our hand because hes not going to be likely to overvalue Ax or AK given the broadways out. so betting for value seems good because we get calls from worse and save against hands we beat with a b/f line.

c/c is also ok too because we took such a passive line that if he has a really good hand he needs to get value from it so we get to showdown, with added info of seeing his hand if we are behind. also he may lead a worse hand thinking you are on a draw and the board is scary enough that even if you hit a pair while on a draw a triple barrel isnt horrible here so we may get him to bluff if we check call.

id have to really know that he ALWAYS has worse here to bet call. seems spewy but he may be a player who overvalues hands

so no as long as you can figure out the line you will take when you put urself in this spot then its ok. its ok if you play it well postflop, given ur line so far and the added fact that i dont feel our hand value has improved greatly, i lean towards c/c
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 PM

check-call. there might be a little merit in a bet-call, but I just think he ends up with the goods too much and i don't think he value raises with AK. And if i bet I'd make it a small blocking bet.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM

played fine.

c/c seems like he doesnt bet very much worse except a bluff, which I assume is ~ never since he is a solid tag and its not a great board to 3 barrel, but who knows, even tags will bluff off when they know they cant win at SD sometimes.

he seems very aggro, any idea how he would respond to blocker? I would love to induce bluff raises if it would work here.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 PM

I lied I think its kinda deep to induce a bluff, guess we c/c, but mostly expecting him to check worse behind.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also he may lead a worse hand thinking you are on a draw and the board is scary enough that even if you hit a pair while on a draw a triple barrel isnt horrible here so we may get him to bluff if we check call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he'll value bet because he puts us on a draw.

[ QUOTE ]

id have to really know that he ALWAYS has worse here to bet call. seems spewy but he may be a player who overvalues hands

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't ALWAYS need to be ahead for this to be the correct play.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check-call. there might be a little merit in a bet-call, but I just think he ends up with the goods too much and i don't think he value raises with AK. And if i bet I'd make it a small blocking bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

paul, curious why you'd make it a small blocking bet rather than something for straight up value.

I expect him to just call w/ all worse 2 pairs, AK and maybe some worse aces but I doubt there are that many in his range.

problem w/ betting as I see it is my hand is virtually face up and should be pretty easy for him to deduce what I have by the river.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:51 PM

If he recognizes you as a decent TAG, I really don't like c/c because he's checking behind some hands he may make a crying call on the river with. B/f.