Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: ot: training a total novice

I'm in the bookclub aswell. Clarkmeister had a 5-book recommendation back in the day that was quite solid. If you do a search I'm sure you can find it. Might be somewhat outdated in terms of book selection, but the general idea still applies.

-Nikla
Old 09-23-2007, 07:13 AM

One concern, and this may be an invalid one, is that you push him through the learning stages to quickly. I'm sure we have all had a somewhat different learning approach to the game (and this doesn't only apply to poker)but building that solid foundation in which to work off of to solve future problems is extremely important. We are obviously always adding to that foundation in the form of layers, but it's those first few layers, those poker 101 layers that I don't believe should be glossed over too quickly.

A collage professor, for example, may not be the best choice to teach a kindergarten class. He/she may inadvertently skip over the most basic learning exercises because they are viewed unimportant in the later stages of life from the professor's POV, but in reality are essential skills for a 5 year old child to acquire to future development.

Consider also that much of what we learn is experience, and again this doesn't only apply to poker. Even after playing poker for a few years I'm still on a 2 second delay clock especially when it comes to live play as I have less time to think before acting(even though there is no 30 sec. clock). I realize the correct play 2 seconds after I acted and much of this problem comes from lack of experience. With a full time job and family I just don't get to put the hours in I need.

I think basically what I'm saying is. In your well intentioned desire to help out a friend in a tough situation you may have unrealistic expectations about what can be achieved in a given amount of time.

Gehrig, it is also generous of you to donate your time to help out a freind and you obviously chose poker because it is something you do well and what you are able to offer your friend. Have you given enough thought though if it is the best option for your friend. Many, many hours of his time will need to be donated. Would those hours be better spent elsewhere. Just because you can help a friend in this manner, should you. Hopefully all of these statements come off as they were intended, with well wishes for your freinds situation.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Give him a hand chart, Thery of Poker and tell him to open every hand that goes to showdown to get a feel for how different player play different types of hands.

You actually might want to let him play a little first on his own, but tell him to open every HH that is in showdown still.
Then when you teach him preflop play and basics of postflop play, he will be able to get in the heads of the fish easier if he remember how he was thinking.

I´d prefer to teach him nl as it´s softer atm. imo, but it really depends on his motivation. If he wants to play for fun, more than to learn how to make money, then have him play both and pick the one he likes better. Could be omaha too.

Good luck.