Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Default 10-20 vs God (aka Patrik Antonius)

Antonius is slumming it and at a few 10-20 tables. Apparently he was teaching someone, but I didn't know at the time.

Anyways, I think I misplayed the hand. I'd like to hear thoughts on flop/turn play.

4 handed, I have $1k. I raise AJ(T8hh) utg. PA calls utg+1 and covers.

Flop Qc Tc 2h. I checked, intending to CR. Who likes? I think my other option is bet-call. I don't like this as much since there are so many turn cards I will hate if he flat calls and I don't mind it checking through.

Anyways, he checked behind and the turn was gin, Kd. Bet it or try to CR? I bet but I think I probably should have tried to CR, for much of the same reasoning as above, plus the added fact that he is probably going to fire a decent amount of times w/ weak holding to try and push me off of whatever. That and he will feel committed with semistrong made hands like two pair w/ a gutshot. Am I right?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: 10-20 vs God (aka Patrik Antonius)

yeah he was playing at 10 20 NLHE.

Well against a player like PA who I've seen to be pretty aggressive I would check again here to raise him because I think he would try and take a stab at it, but then again he might not.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Obv bet on the turn.

As for the flop...

But why would you try a flop c/r? I just fire 2/3 pot and hope he doesn't raise me or c/c. Bet call and c/r both seem pretty terrible to me.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:41 AM

Why is the turn bet obv?

I really hate bet-folding on this flop. In fact I think it's pretty close to terrible, though somewhat less so if you routinely bet 2/3 pot. If we bet 2/3 and treat his raise as all-in committing (it's not), we need about 41% equity vs his range to make the call. We won't have that on average, I don't think, but we are never worse than about 18% and usually much closer to 30, sometimes even 50. If we bet full pot, we need 37% equity using the same all-in assumption. Throw in the fact that we will be able to call and fold to the worst turn cards and I think overall a plan to bet-fold this flop is really bad. We simply have too much equity to make a bet and give up. I'd rather check fold, check-call, or bet-call.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 AM

I would definitely check the flop considering you can't call a raise, and I'd probably fold to a bet, but I don't hate c/r'ing either if you are folding to a push. The problem with bluffing this board is PA could have a lot of hands that are good equity against your range. The more I think the more I'd just c/f the flop.

As for the turn, a bet telegraphs your hand a bit but I'd rather bet than set myself up for a negative freeroll. I think a majority of the time you'll bet and win the pot, and that's the 100% proper play to make imo. I think checking is terrible.

As much as you want to stack PA (as if God can actually be stacked), there's no genius way to play this hand to get all his chips in unless you've cold-decked him. I think you are thinking this hand from the perspective of "I want to take maybe my only chance to stack PA and will misplay my hand if necessary" instead of making a standard turn bet.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM

I would just check fold that flop.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the turn bet obv?

[/ QUOTE ]

To get more money in the pot with the nuts? You're not getting called on a c/r with anything other than AJ and I think you leave more value on the table by letting it possibly get checked through.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 PM

I cant see any reason why you would to get allin on a double belly buster. On this basis a check raise is just insane. If you genuinely think through equities as you describe for the betting out situation then this can become a fatal flaw, but I've talked about this stuff before.

I tend to like c-r turns, but only normally when it gets me basically allin if he calls and the board is drawy. In this case a bet out, especially a smaller than pot one, is fine.

gl

bdd