Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: HU river

[ QUOTE ]
so then check/raise you're only really missing like KT

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call/call/raise is a really bad line to take here

- a2 is way behind when i'm not folding to a river raise.
- u lose value vs lots of hands. 1sb if i have a hand i cc river with. u lose a ton of value when i wouldve semibluffed back at u.
- if when u show aggression early in a hand ur range is [set, draw] then ur v easy to play against

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, those are the disadvantages. On the other hand, the advantages:

1) It continues to collect value from hands that are bluffing and have little showdown value.
2) It may save bets against a stronger ace, since the raise will often look like I've hit some kind of two-pair or straight depending on the board.
3) It may collect some loose calldowns since the raise looks so strange.
4) You may have hit middle pair, etc. on the turn and river and would have folded if I'd raised earlier but will call down now.
5) It lets you know I'm not always weak when just calling, which should give me more free cards, free showdowns etc. when I need them.
6) If you're making some genius fold when I raise this then okay mister I'll start making this play as a bluff once in a great while.

Nobody's saying you should make this play 100% of the time but I'm surprised that you're so hard-headed about this being some kind of self-proclaimed heads up expert. Mixing up the spots where you're aggressive is important; so is mixing up the spots where you're passive.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) It continues to collect value from hands that are bluffing and have little showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]
nearly everything has showdown value or a draw that wants to see the river on this board. this is not an a66 board

[ QUOTE ]
3) It may collect some loose calldowns since the raise looks so strange.

[/ QUOTE ]
it doesn't matter how loosely i call your river raise if my non-bluffing range on the end is ahead of A2.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM

yeah i have an A here sometimes too but that's when gehrig is replaced by a guy who is 3-betting with 45o and betting every street with it. But that's really it on this board.