Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Athlete rollcall and training tips

I'd imagine that quite a few people here are at least amateur or recreational athletes that are working out and health-conscious for sport-related activities, and I'd like to get a good feel on what sports or physical activities everyone is interested in.

I'll start: I'm an ex-college baseball pitcher (moved to middle infield after my collegiate transfer) living in Seattle, now joining a high-level amateur league and attempting to make the three-man rotation as the #2 or #3 after being the everyday second baseman. My goals are to increase my pitch awareness (specifically vs. outside RHP breaking balls - my platoon split vs. lefties is ridiculous), throw 80+ MPH, get a better feel for my slider and gyroball, and to become a smarter baserunner.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Athlete rollcall and training tips

Meh, baseball star turned generic athlete.

Pitcher in high school, and summer amateur leagues. Now I can add rugby back in college, and as recent as 2 weeks ago, Health club basketball league champion. But baseball is coming up again soon!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:26 PM

I was an All State tennis player in high school, had shoulder issues though and never even attempted to play in the ACC as an undergrad. Guys ranked +/- a few spots of me typically went on to play for smaller D-I programs like Bucknell, Villanova, JMU, etc. I'd like to get back into open tournaments, but haven't been able to string together more than about 2 months of regular practice, and 10 years off really takes away that competitive edge. I intend to play a few tourneys this summer though and compete well.

I've been running regularly for about 2 1/2 years and in the last year have been actively training and trying to improve my times from everything from 5k through the half marathon. I recently joined a men's open racing team so will be trying to run consistenly sub 17min 5k's this summer, and also want to throw together a few months of distance training and qualify for the Boston Marathon. I'd like to transition into triathlons and adventure racing within the next year or two also.

I also played in a squash league for a while recently and this may be my favorite sport of all, but it's absolutely brutal on my knees when I'm running a lot of miles and haven't been able to keep up with it.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 PM

Rugby for college for the last two years. Fairly serious now, starting games when I go to practice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. We are fourth in the nation in our division and first in our league. Ridiculous amount of physical activity.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rugby for college for the last two years. Fairly serious now, starting games when I go to practice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. We are fourth in the nation in our division and first in our league. Ridiculous amount of physical activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

ego, what's your team? There seem to be a lot of ex-ruggers on here (of course I'm counting aba as 2000 people).
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM

I was a fairly good amateur boxer. I lost to two amateur national champs, one of whom went on to knockout Roger Mayweather and lose to Felix Trinidad.

The best tip I have really kind of applies to all sports, and that is to make your conditioning as sport-specific as possible.

When I started out I was doing a lot of roadwork, which is a fairly traditional training method for boxers. Anyway, I was putting in like 30+ miles a week. I became dramatically better once I cut way back on my distance running and started doing a lot of shorter, faster runs instead. I'd sprint 3 minutes as hard as I could then walk a minute, just like fight rounds. Or I'd do 3:15 and take a :45 walk. It made a huge difference in my ability to finish rounds strong.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM

kyle,

Sport-specific interest in my workouts is focused on playing pretty competitive over-30 soccer and tennis. Secondary is being in general solid shape for snowboarding.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kyle,

Sport-specific interest in my workouts is focused on playing pretty competitive over-30 soccer and tennis. Secondary is being in general solid shape for snowboarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

D,

Nice to see you are still kicking it with guys over ten years younger than you!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ego, what's your team? There seem to be a lot of ex-ruggers on here (of course I'm counting aba as 2000 people).

[/ QUOTE ]

Loyola Marymount University in L.A. im a prop.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Loyola Marymount University in L.A. im a prop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know one girl who goes there, she has large breasts