Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 AM

Default SH50/100 top set on monotone flop, get a freebie or fire at it?

ok.
3handed 50/1 online

SB is TAG
BB is LAG
my image should be pretty tight/solid.

i open button w/ AA65, both guys call.
i have 11K, they both have 25K.

flop comes As9s5s

check, check...

if i bet here i risk getting CRed off my draw (unless i decide to move in?) but if i check thru one of them will often take a stab on a blank and put me in an ugly spot (any bet/raise will almost always be potsized)...

play here?

remember to consider that i only have ~10xpot here so there is not alot of room for manipulatibg the pot.
also if i bet, the NF may flatcall to trap and ill get 1 or 2 free cards to make the nuts.
also worth mentioning may be the fact that i have a blocker... would that encourage u to semibluff since our draw is worsened?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: SH50/100 top set on monotone flop, get a freebie or fire at it?

Tough spot. I would bet here just on pricipal, because if the board doesn't pair on the turn then you are going to be facing a big bet if either of these guys has two spades. If the Ks isn't out and you bet the flop then you'll probably take it down.

Of course the next question is if you do get CRd what do you do? I'd probably fold, without the Ks in my hand. If I had top set and the lone Ks, I'd move in.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 AM

Disclaimer: I don't play this high.

This answer to this question seems to be game/opponent specific. If you think a pot sized check raise is likely, then take the free card. You don't want to get blown off top set on that flop. Otherwise bet and try to take it down.

Usually short handed I would bet about 1/2 to 2/3 the pot in this situation -- probably folding to a check raise and definitely reassing on the turn if smooth called.

Sometimes I'll check behind and call a bet on the turn if I thought someone was taking a stab at it. I probably wouldn't call two barrels though.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 AM

So read dependent. How tricky these guys are is the most important thing of course.

Without reads I would either pot and get it all-in if raised, if called check through turn and check/fold to a decent river bet unimproved, or check flop and call/pot any turn and again same river action as earlier. I play lag and even if your image is tight I imagine you open a ton of buttons and c-bet them too (maybe not so many monotone ones) in that game 3-handed.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Do you expect anyone to fold a flush if you bet? I don't play that game but I don't think your opponents will fold a small flush for one PSB here. Which means you should be best to check behind, if you think a turn bet is often a bluff you can call it. I don't think you're turning your hand over, as you would sometimes check the nut flush here too.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're turning your hand over

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this phrase? (which I've seen you use a couple of times now).

Do you just mean "giving away your hand" i.e. you might as well just turn your cards face up?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Turn your hand over: to play ones hand face up so that all opponents can see what cards you hold.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 PM

yes, thats what he means.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough spot. I would bet here just on pricipal, because if the board doesn't pair on the turn then you are going to be facing a big bet if either of these guys has two spades. If the Ks isn't out and you bet the flop then you'll probably take it down.

[/ QUOTE ]
naw, definitely dont assume either guy is check/folding a medium fluish here, i kinda doubt that.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably fold, without the Ks in my hand. If I had top set and the lone Ks, I'd move in.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. w/ the Ks its a no-brainer AI, but w/ my hand im probably folding.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Typically I pot the nut flush or top set here 100% of the time in MP or LP. If checked to again on the turn, I'd lead for 1/2 pot with both and check behind with unimproved top set on the river unless the situation calls for a bet.