Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: heads up against a fish

when they start limping i usually start raising like any 2 from the bb. j6s and k6 certainly apply. make them adjust at first.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Hand 1 -

If he bets the flop when checked to more than half the time I think your flop check is good.

The turn I would probably bet unless he is the kind of guy who would bet all his club/straight draws and possibly semibluff raise with some. The guys who complete a lot preflop and check the flop usually are the more passive type though. Once they dont stab on the flop I usually find that they dont stab at the turn either (unless they pick up a draw).

When he calls your turn bet I think he either has a 9, club, 6, or 8, so I think its a pretty easy fold on the river.

Hand 2 -

Again, if he's betting the flop over 50% of the time checking seems fine, especially if he peels tightly. If is a loose flop peeler you probably should bet, especially if he is the type that would raise any T or J.

The turn I'm probably betting because I feel there are a lot more hands that call than there are that bet if this guy is bad.

Hand 3 -

You said he is raising 25% of his buttons? Well if you are playing against a top 25% range here it is probably close to a flop checkraise depending on what assumptions you make. If he is the type that will calldown with any ace because of the 9T straight cards and who will check either the turn or river with weak pairs and Ax, you probably do have the equity to raise here. I wouldn't wait for the turn because he seems like the type who will check the turn with most of his weaker hands so you dont really want to c/r his turn betting range.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 38.695% 37.55% 01.15% 236059 7214.50 { 66+, A2s+, K6s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, A7o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 1: 61.305% 60.16% 01.15% 378208 7214.50 { Kd9s }

I agree that these hands are often pretty tough because mistakes in small pots are amplified. Playing against guys who limp can be very very tricky and although a lot of people who opencomplete are fish, I feel that a lot of good players end up with not a big edge because they dont adapt correctly.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:59 PM

the funky llama these guys will bet the turn with air some. without having played with this guy much and just using general stereotyping i would say hed be the flop if checked to 50%, the turn if checked on flop+turn to 50% and the river if checked to 35%

i dont get why u want to bet the turn in hand #1 instead of cc
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM

if ur assumptions are correct then i would check the turn
Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM

if villain wants to let you see lots of free flops with your weak hands OOP why try and make him change? I think that this is a pretty good situation to be in.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when they start limping i usually start raising like any 2 from the bb. j6s and k6 certainly apply. make them adjust at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

against what kind of players will you do this against? That is, bad in what way? I think that matters alot because against some players that could be recipe for disaster.

also, against what kind of players, if any, will you complete against, and with what kinds of hands?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 PM

In my experience most of the people that complete on the button HU are of the "let's see what the flop brings" type. They want to see all the flops because they might flop a pair or a real draw. They fold if they do not pick up a pair or draw on the flop without taking anything else into consideration. These guys are the absolute best to play against because they are rarely showing down K/A high and when they raise they have it. Against these players I generally raise every time in the BB because they eventually fold so the pot needs to be bigger when they do. I recently played a guy like this HU live however and played a bit differently. I was playing my button as normal while throwing in an open limp here and there just to see if he was in the raising mood or the passive mood every few minutes. In my BB he limped button about 90% and raised the rest so when he limped I basically just raised when I had a good hand. I think raising 100% might have been optimal but he was so awful that I felt building the pots big in position and keeping them tiny OOP came close to guaranteeing he left with $0, so I didn't care if it took a little bit longer.