Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Death sends you to the next level... (math-ish/philosophy)

This is sort of long, but I do have a final question or two at the end. If you don't want to read the background info, then skip this post altogether. Also, I want to say that I'm pretty much putting this stuff down quickly as I just more or less daydreamed about this. There are probably holes in what I am writing, but hopefully, you get the basic idea.

Say you die for whatever reason, and the moment you do, you find yourself transformed into another body in a new world. Lots of people are there awaiting you, and they tell you that you've been born into a new family of sorts, except that you still retain all your memories and knowledge from your past life.

They, too, have come from Earth after their own deaths. And, you learn that basically everyone that dies on Earth irrespective of their religion, morality, accomplishments, etc. end up here in this Level 2 existence. No one really knows your past since you are not obligated to talk about it, and since everyone looks different now it's kind of strange.

Some men have now become hot women. Some ugly men are now total studs. Some people look more or less the way they did. And, it's kind of screwed up, but some people who only spoke a not-so-oft-used dialect are unable to communicate, and have to start over.

This new world is pretty cool, as science has advanced a huge amount. The really famous scientists of Earth pretty much out themselves, so that they can meet other smart people, and progress is happening.

But, just as on Earth, people age. And, accidents happen. People die. One day you die, and you wake up in Level 3.

The question now is... when you are in your Level 2 existence, you surely don't know for certain if death at Level 2 is really the end of the game (your life). When you do die, you find out the answer is no, as you are transported to Level 3.

Does the chance that the next Level exists increase as you progress to higher levels? Or, is this a case where independence holds, and past history doesn't change anything about the likelihood of your continued existence in ever-ascending Levels?

-RMJ
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Death sends you to the next level... (math-ish/philosophy)

It is best to procede with the assumption that the universe is random, predatory, and unpredictable.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:49 AM

can you warp to even higher levels like super mario bros.?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 AM

So you're just incarnated as an adult in Level 2? Or are you reborn, with your "past memories and knowledge" merging in at a later stage of development?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is best to procede with the assumption that the universe is random, indifferent, and comprehensible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 AM

The mere existence of life after death has to massively bump the odds of leveling.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 PM

There are no levels to life or death; it is just human mythology to construct a hierarchy to life and give special meaning to existence and the entry and exit points for individual beings. This is done partially for comfort and to sooth the human ego but to also give an explanation and meaning to those who can’t accept the randomness and amorality of an indifferent Universe.

-Zeno
Old 10-28-2007, 12:32 PM

While you are a favorite to be correct in my opinion, your categorical statement is little more than nihilism run amok.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you are a favorite to be correct in my opinion, your categorical statement is little more than nihilism run amok.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you wish to run amok, nihilism, at least to me, has a certain charm and panache. Besides, am I to always kowtow to the befuddled and throbbing masses just to, once again, sooth their lacerated and inflated egos?

[i] I should make it my objective to teach thinking, not orthodoxy, or even heterodoxy. And I should absolutely never sacrifice intellect to the fancied interest of morals. [i] –Bertrand Russell

-Zeno
Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM

I would think the probability of there being another lever after the current one would increase asymptotically (< spelling?).

Another interesting question would be how would you calculate that probability, and the start of that answer is of course here and now.