Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 AM

Default FINAL TABLE OF MTT HAND QUESTION

I've made the final table of 2 online 90 person MTT in the past 2 days. I went out of both tournaments on very similar hands- on both hands I moved allin with a small pair and was called by a larger one. Here are the two hands:
(1) 7 people left in tourney.
Blinds are 2,500/5,000.
I am one of the short stacks with roughly 22,500.
Under the gun I pick up 55 and moved in.
The big blind (one of the big stacks) calls with QQ and I'm out.
(2) 4 people left in tournament.
I was fairly short again (do not remember the exact figures) and blinds were huge. UTG folds to me and I go allin with 44 on the button with about 6.5 times the BB. The small blind calls with 66 and I'm out.

So is there a better way to play any of these hands? Or should I simply fold? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 AM

Default Re: FINAL TABLE OF MTT HAND QUESTION

Welcome to the forums!

Congrats on making it to the final table. You probably did this through tight solid play, getting paid off when your big hands hit earlier in the tournament. Now that you are in the late stages of the tournament with the blinds high and coming around every few hands you need to be pushing a ton of hands preflop. I am sure that if you read this forum regularly you will be able to find many threads about when it is time to ramp up your aggression in tournaments.

Hand 1; You should never EVER have gotten to the point where you had less than 4 bbs left. Your push is perfectly standard but you should reevaluate if there were other cards that you could had been pushing earlier in the tournament so that your hand did not get so small. FWIW I am also pushing 22, KQs, A4s, 87s here too.

Hand 2. Your push with 44 is automatic again. You said that you were short though so you should have been pushing with a wide range of hands much earlier in the last few rounds.

Once again welcome... it seems like you are coming to the forums with a strong poker baground and I hope that the strategies discussed here could help make you a great player

-Steve
Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 AM

Hand 1: 55 is a no brainer push here. You shouldn't have let yourself get this short, though. You should be actively looking for spots to steal the blinds way before you get this short.

Hand 2: This is probably a push with any two cards depending on exact stack sizes.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So is there a better way to play any of these hands? Or should I simply fold? Any comments are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, since you are this short-stacked this is the only way to play these hands and you should definitely NOT consider folding these hands in these situations.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:39 AM

standard
Old 11-09-2006, 05:45 AM

Etc