Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Was the Bing Bang a Random event?

random - 1. All outcomes being equally probable
2. Unpredictable

[ QUOTE ]
No physical event in the universe is "truly" random. We can really only discuss probabilities when assuming a certain level of ignorance. Adding knowledge means that the probabilities change. Absent any amount of ignorance (as would be the case for an omniscient figure), and all events either have probability 1 or 0, even flipping a fair coin.

[/ QUOTE ]

A discussion under the omnipotence thread here led to a minor discssion about randomness. mickeyg made the above response to a post of mine concerning randomness.

I agree with mickey concernig random events in the physical universe. But I wondered if there ever was or could be a truely random event. This led me to consider the theory of the big bang.

My limited knowledge has the theory stating that time began at the big bang. Before the big bang there existed a singularity or black hole. The theory of a black hole has all laws of physics break down in the black hole. If this is true, if I have it correct, does this man that events within a black hole are undeterminable and unpredictable?

We humans have knowledge of one event that has occurred within a black hole. That is the big bang (expansion). Since within the black hole events were are unpredictable does this fact alone make the big bang a truly random physical event?

pokervintage