Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Looks like SD is screwed, Norv new coach

Ron Rivera = LB Coach. Wow.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 AM

Norv will have a chance to do with Rivers what he did with Aikman. Ron Rivera is now with the Bolts, too. Norv with talent could easily lead the Bolts to the promised land just like he did twice with Cowboys.

Norv wasn't horrible in Washington, but not good either, didn't win in Oak. No coach since Norv had done anything in those towns either. I respect his work in Dallas and SF, we'll see what he can do in SD. AJ can pick em, so we'll see.

Sorry, Marty sucked and everybody in Cleve, KC and SD will tell you so.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry Gray

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully he'll end up as the Longhorns head coach some day.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of Rivera's history

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either and personally I'm skeptical of giving him too much credit for Chicago's success given Lovie is their head coach.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazed that this guy keeps getting HC jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Personally I thought Jim Mora Jr. was a good fit for SD, but he didn't even seem to get a real look there.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure of Rivera's history

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either and personally I'm skeptical of giving him too much credit for Chicago's success given Lovie is their head coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rivera is now the Forrest Gump of the NFL defenses. He played under Buddy Ryan with the "46" defense. He coached under Jim Johnson with the Eagles blitz packages. He went to Chicago with Lovie Smith and learned the "Tampa Two." And now will have some experience with a 3-4.

Really Rivera got screwed when the Bears made the Super Bowl and the Steelers were not able to hire him. Spending time with Dick LeBeau would have truly taught him the Steelers 3-4 and he would be experienced in every defense the NFL has used in the last 25 years.

I don't think he interviewed as well this year because of the playoff circumstances. His best shots were taken away because the Bears went to the Superbowl and then the last two jobs (Dallas & SD) he impressed, but was unwilling to keep the 3-4.

I'm not as bothered by the Norv Turner hire, which should keep the offense at a good pace. I think that the Ted Cottrell will be the weak link. Unless Rivera takes over the defensive play-calling their front seven will not be as creative of blitzers and will expose a pretty weak secondary. The Chargers will allow 5-8 more points per game next year.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Chargers will allow 5-8 more points per game next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pease, that's ludicrous. They're not going to allow 80-128 extra points next year because of a defensive coordinator switch.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Chargers will allow 5-8 more points per game next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pease, that's ludicrous. They're not going to allow 80-128 extra points next year because of a defensive coordinator switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff you know their defense is based on their front seven's ability to make plays. So much of this is based on bringing different linebackers from different positions. Ted Cottrel has shown a problem in making the correct defensive call at the right time. 5-8 could be a bit much (although I think their defense overachieved a bit last year and should regress) but their defense will not be as good next year. And it will be very noticeable.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:17 PM

I tend to agree that the offense should be fine, and the D is cause for concern. On O, Turner was a good choice. The team is familar with his system and terminology, its his system afterall, he taught it to Cameron, and Turner coached some of the guys, like LT, already. Given the Bolts lost Cameron, it makes sense to bring in Turner. Plus he has a history of working well with young QBs like Aikman and Alex Smith.

I think its better to have the head coach run the offense as opposed to what the Chargers had last year, a figurehead, and the cooridnator calling the shots. Too many cooks, ya know. Have one guy in charge, running the show.

The down side is Norv might not be the leader or motivator that Marty was. The team did have a lot of discipline problems. I don't blame Marty, but its not like they loved the guy so much that they wouldn't dare screw up.

The D was going to take a hit without Wade anyways. So anytime you lose your 2 top coordinators its going to be tough (see Pats). They brought in a 3-4 guy, and they got Rivera, so you do what you can.

Keep in mind D had lot of injuries/supensions last year, Cromartie will improve, and Jammer played well down stretch so he might be getting there.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Anatta, Marty >>>>>>> Turner.

That is all.