Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: AC in America

[ QUOTE ]
AC is so marginal that it is somehow funny, specially when the acolytes come out with their usually unfounded fervor!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you spend countless hours and start numerous Ron Paul threads trying to debunk a philosophy that you find "marginal and funny"? If you really think it has no merit, why bother?

I know I wouldn't spend hours a week on a religion forum consistently saying to all the Scientologists "You guys are NUTS! LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]" disguised in slightly different ways in a series of Lord Xenu threads.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know why you are mentioning both AC and Atheism together. Don't see any relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a relationship, though probably not a causal one. I'd be curious to see how many self-proclaimed ACists here are also atheists. I would guess somewhere around 90%.

Both AC and Atheism have a core belief that there is no higher authority than self.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that maybe that percentage of ACists here are agnostics, but not atheists.

And before you go saying "OMG they're all atheists" I want to point out that from your "Atheism have a core belief that there is no higher authority than self" statement, you are clearly using the definition of atheism that only includes active disbelief, since agnostics (and those agnostics who falsely call themselves atheists) do not have beliefs of any sort in relation to "God".

Also, the fact that you believe that statement to be true of ACists just shows how ignorant you are of AC.

It's also worth noting that due to the nature of this site, people in general are less likely to be religious, so even if all the ACists here are not religious, it's probably not representative of the general AC population.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And before you go saying "OMG they're all atheists"

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you know how I argue...

[ QUOTE ]
you are clearly using the definition of atheism that only includes active disbelief

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, because that's what atheism means.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the fact that you believe that statement to be true of ACists just shows how ignorant you are of AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you disagree with my assertion. Please answer then, for ACist, who is a higher authority than self.

[ QUOTE ]
It's also worth noting that due to the nature of this site, people in general are less likely to be religious, so even if all the ACists here are not religious, it's probably not representative of the general AC population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but I suspect that there is a high correlation between ACism and Atheism generally (maybe not quite 90%, mayber more like 85%). On this site, though, I would be interested to hear if there is a single theist ACist.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you are clearly using the definition of atheism that only includes active disbelief

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, because that's what atheism means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, despite the fact that most people who call themselves that don't. In this case I think your 90% atheist statement is definitely completely false.

[ QUOTE ]
for ACist, who is a higher authority than self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Society.

[ QUOTE ]

Probably, but I suspect that there is a high correlation between ACism and Atheism generally (maybe not quite 90%, mayber more like 85%). On this site, though, I would be interested to hear if there is a single theist ACist.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not 85% either. More like 5%. If you want to say agnostic instead you're probably right, but not atheist in the way we're using it. Also, not atheist != theist.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both AC and Atheism have a core belief that there is no higher authority than self.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement demonstrates an odd misconception of the AC line of reasoning. It isn't like "there is no higher authority than thy self" therefore "AC is what I believe in."

There is plenty of "authority" in the absence of government. It's just that the authority is a more effective form. When I'm in an airplane I yield to the captain's authority. When I'm in a classroom I yield to the teacher's authority. When I'm in my neighbors house I yield to his authority. Etc. It's just that it's clear to us that the result is better when you hold an unwavering respect for property rights, and let property ownership determine authority, than when you vote on how and when and to what degree.

In a loosely similar vein, since our position is one of analytical assessment and not whimsical, feel good regurgitations of social cues that don't necessarily make objective sense, we're also the type of people who are way less likely to act according to the advice from some book or character when that advice defies conventional reason.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:51 PM

I think a lot of ACists would be Atheists, but I think that has to do more with the demographics of ACists, and how ACism is spread. I imagine young white males who use the internet frequently are pretty likely to be atheists.

I think you'll find that the majority of atheists are pretty liberal, though...

PS: I think "atheism" is broader than you define it.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, some ACers could be giving up on the AC idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of like a horny teenager giving up on the banging chics idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like a horny teenager giving up on banging Cindy Crawford and finding something less "ideal" to bang.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Except that the Cindy Crawford/reach for unattainable ideals thing applies way more to statism than to AC. Cute try though.

Welcome back btw, I was wondering why the politics forum had been so much less annoying lately. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, some ACers could be giving up on the AC idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of like a horny teenager giving up on the banging chics idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like a horny teenager giving up on banging Cindy Crawford and finding something less "ideal" to bang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you find something less "ideal" to bang doesn't mean you ever give up hope!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Except that the Cindy Crawford/reach for unattainable ideals thing applies way more to statism than to AC.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah it's unrealistic to think we could ever attain the formation of a state. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]