Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Default two pair question...

i've run into the problem of losing with two pairs alot recently... usually in SNG or MTT and at most mid-stacked so it's probably not that bad... BUT, what i've found surprising is the two pair losing to a set (both flopped), but the set sharing a ranked card with me. i.e. i have KJ, the flop comes KJ4. we get alot of money in. i realize the opponent may have 44 in the pocket, but i've been really shocked to see KK or JJ in the pocket. i think the math is 1/23.5 for first K and 1/46 for second K so basically 1/1000 (although obviously chances are much higher as realistically there are a finite number of holdings he holds)

my semi-questions are 1) is this as rare as i think it is? i've been playing more online recently so seeing tons of hands; 2) isn't there value in the fact that 2 of each JJ and KK are out, so very unlikely opponent holds that?

thanks in advance!! hopefully i'm just going thru a bit of variance/bad luck (i have lost with 2 pairs to a few danger boards too though)