Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Maniacs

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response. I certainly didn't mean to impugn anyone's character and probably should have used a different phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally cool. No offence taken at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Another serious question, wouldn't you have more fun and learn more (you almost certainly know more than I do btw) by playing 25PLO instead? Or do did you decide you could learn more by playing against better players in a bigger game even on a short stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played around with full-stack 25PLO and 50PLO in the past. Actually I've been hardcore into just about every game at some point (PLO/8, LHE, 2-7 TD, Pineapple, Stud, Razz) with varying degrees of success.

I had Slotboom's book on my shelf for some time. I started reading it book after playing in a live 1/2NL mixed game in Edmonton (which was almost exclusively Omaha). After that I put $200 back online and started with 50 & 100 PLO. I had good success at 100 (with 10 short buy-ins) and I was able to weather a pretty nasty downswing at beginning of the month. And there are usually 3 full-ring games going on Stars in the night time. 100 just felt right. Big enough to be exciting and small enough to feel safe.

I have no qualms about moving down to 25PLO when I want to learn even more about post-flop action. As many people can relate, the smaller stakes feel kind of boring at times since my true poker bankroll is about $2000. Hopefully I'll have earned enough to play max buy-in 100 PLO (the full ring games above there are inconsistent on Stars). But I plan to worry about that at another time. Right now I'm in full PLO study mode.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:39 AM

I have a question that I truly don't know the answer to...

What is the difference between someone who buys into the game for the minimum and someone who buys into an uncapped game for an excessive amount of money so that he can have the table covered? Both can take post-flop play completely out of the equation (though the threat level to a 100-200 BB stack is completely different?)

I hear of a lot of "die shortstackers die" at the higher online levels. And I don't really get it. Everyone's following the rules so what's the problem?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 AM

WTF is with Cash lately.. I can't seem to get people to fold it is like a group freaking conspiracy to stay in every pot.... why do I bother to RAISE preflop? It is so weird it has just been the past week and I am losing at cash every day this week because it is a group free for all in these pots and I can't hit a flop to save my life. THANK god for tournies LOL!!!

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $11.50
UTG+1: $14.55
MP1: $19.05
MP2: $1.65
MP3: $30.20
CO: $22.15
Button: $31.55
SB: $27.55
Janellebb7: $37.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Janellebb7 is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Janellebb7 raises to $1.85</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.2, 6 players)
Janellebb7 checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.2, 6 players)
Janellebb7 checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.25</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Janellebb7 calls, UTG folds.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($12.2, 4 players)
Janellebb7 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $5.25</font>, 2 folds, Janellebb7 folds.
Uncalled bets: $5.25 returned to MP1.

Results:
Final pot: $12.2
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is the difference between someone who buys into the game for the minimum and someone who buys into an uncapped game for an excessive amount of money so that he can have the table covered? Both can take post-flop play completely out of the equation (though the threat level to a 100-200 BB stack is completely different?)

I hear of a lot of "die shortstackers die" at the higher online levels. And I don't really get it. Everyone's following the rules so what's the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
the problem is people don't like the rules.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People are allowed opinions, and the general consensus between the higher stakes regular players is that buying in short is not really playing, but rather pathetically grinding a living (my personal opinion, I dont speak for everyone) by pushing small percentage favorites pre-flop, thus eliminating post-flop play. It's not so much about rules as it is about a certain amount of respect.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 AM

um in plo a massive stack can not eliminate the flop and later streets without help. It is pot-limit.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
um in plo a massive stack can not eliminate the flop and later streets without help. It is pot-limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

In pot-limit yes. I meant (but didn't write) no-limit. Sorry.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People are allowed opinions, and the general consensus between the higher stakes regular players is that buying in short is not really playing, but rather pathetically grinding a living (my personal opinion, I dont speak for everyone) by pushing small percentage favorites pre-flop, thus eliminating post-flop play. It's not so much about rules as it is about a certain amount of respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop play is a hell of a lot more interesting than you seem to think. It is certainly not a grind. In fact, like I said in another post, I think everyone should spend a certain amount of time shortstacking to get a good feel for preflop hand values, as it is rather important for later streets if you're playing preflop correctly. We (you) should remember that most shortstackers are awful and generally just want to gamble, and that they actually make postflop play much more interesting with the concepts of sidepots, dead money, protection and so forth, in which a skilled player such as yourself can generate unexpected edges over other good players.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM

i dont mind the shortstackers in omaha, in general they are absolutely terrible drooling gamboolers that jsut donate straight out.

also if u have a donk goin allin with A3 in texas for 20bb u obv cant raise your 75s but in omaha u can raise and call reraises with good drawinghands like 6789ss and u can create coinflips against the shortstaks with a lot of deadmoney in the pot.

i think they can create some interesting situations with different stacksizes in omaha even if i prefer deepstackplay.

in holdem shortstackers are just a nuisance though an even if they generally donate they make the games boring.

maniacs in PLO normally suck and add fun and enormous value to the game.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is with Cash lately.. I can't seem to get people to fold it is like a group freaking conspiracy to stay in every pot.... why do I bother to RAISE preflop? It is so weird it has just been the past week and I am losing at cash every day this week because it is a group free for all in these pots and I can't hit a flop to save my life. THANK god for tournies LOL!!!

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $11.50
UTG+1: $14.55
MP1: $19.05
MP2: $1.65
MP3: $30.20
CO: $22.15
Button: $31.55
SB: $27.55
Janellebb7: $37.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Janellebb7 is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Janellebb7 raises to $1.85</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.2, 6 players)
Janellebb7 checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($11.2, 6 players)
Janellebb7 checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.25</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Janellebb7 calls, UTG folds.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($12.2, 4 players)
Janellebb7 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $5.25</font>, 2 folds, Janellebb7 folds.
Uncalled bets: $5.25 returned to MP1.

Results:
Final pot: $12.2

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have sat with me friday night/saturday morning. Dropped 300 in 25PLO 6 max and 150 50PLO 6 max in about 3500 hands.

God, guess I'm going back to holdem.