Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Default AK Post: I\'m posting this as new because I\'m tired of it

You must let go of that poisonous combination of fear and hubris that makes you think that you are about to do something special with AK by folding preflop.

You are not a world class surgeon with the cards. You cannot dissect AK any further. You will not find a theoretical breakthrough for folding AK in a small stakes, non-satelite online tourney almost ever. Numerous Small Stakes tourney theoreticians have tried before. In fact, about one tries every day. It always fails. It fails as hard as communism or Coke Zero. Except, communism always makes for a better read.

You are not a magician. If you fold AK, your online chips will not transpose themselves from the computer screen to your desk moments later and unravel like flowers in bloom, only to reveal sheaths of gold.

You have AK with an M of 8 - ??. There's a push in front of you with an M of 10. There's another call with M of 15. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. It's late. It's early. Your dreams of making a final table are only one and a half hours away. And there's a break coming up! It's a +EV play to push here. That's all it is. +EV. That's what poker is: EV moves. Deal with it.

You're pyschology or greater wants mean nothing. All that matters in the end is the "long run" promise of cEV. Chips only translate to more potential returns if you play them correctly. Please think about this.

Barry
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: AK Post: I\'m posting this as new because I\'m tired of it

Clearly this post warrants a response.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM

It's your not you're.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM

All I have to say is

[ QUOTE ]
You must let go of that poisonous combination of fear and hubris that makes you think that you are about to do something special with AK by folding preflop.

You are not a world class surgeon with the cards. You cannot dissect AK any further. You will not find a theoretical breakthrough for folding AK in a small stakes, non-satelite online tourney almost ever. Numerous Small Stakes tourney theoreticians have tried before. In fact, about one tries every day. It always fails. It fails as hard as communism or Coke Zero. Except, communism always makes for a better read.

You are not a magician. If you fold AK, your online chips will not transpose themselves from the computer screen to your desk moments later and unravel like flowers in bloom, only to reveal sheaths of gold.

You have AK with an M of 8 - ??. There's a push in front of you with an M of 10. There's another call with M of 15. . It's late. It's early. You're dreams of making a final table are only one and a half hours away. And there's a break coming up! It's a +EV play to push here. That's all it is. +EV. That's what poker is: EV moves. Deal with it.

You're pyschology or greater wants mean nothing. All that matters in the end is the "long run" promise of cEV. Chips only translate to more potential returns if you play them correctly. Please think about this.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM

But AK is a drawing hand.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's your not you're.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're OK with other spelling/grammar, etc.?

Barry: It is frustrating, I agree; I want to start a
beginner's thread within this forum so we can nail
the basics down in a less chaotic way.

I am in awe of all the "I entered a $200 MTT, should I
limp AA here?" I wish I had a ponderous bankroll to
learn from like that!

Deep breath, and let's concentrate on the threads that
merit intelligent debate.

-ZEN
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM

I just don't think someone should have a condescending tone while getting basic grammar wrong.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 PM

AK has six outs, a pocket pair only has two, so it's pretty obvious which is better.

Seriously, I almost folded AK PF deep in the 50K gtd. on Sunday. But I didn't and lost a flip for the top 3 in chips with 20 left (QQ>33>AK). But I didn't fold it and retrospectively, I am glad I didn't b/c I am very sure I made the right call and had I won that flip finishing in the top 3 would have been all but inevitable.

Sherman
Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM

but Barry...my AK keeps losing to A 2 off...can you help me?

lol...I agree with Barry in principal but I need to do some serious animal sacrifices lately to make the correct play profitable
Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't think someone should have a condescending tone while getting basic grammar wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of creative writing forums on the internet where you may (but probably won't) find posts free of "spelling demon" errors.

Yes, there is a bit of condescension in this post, but "tough love" is well warranted. SSMTT is soaked with "hit n run" posts about what to do with AK late; each post wreaks of results orientated drivel or play based on psychological fear or illogical, mathematically void analysis. So, yeah, a basic, mostly psychologically orientated post saying "IT'S AKo/AKs, YOU WANT THIS HAND ALL-IN PRE" is necessary.

There are myriad posts that, while not AK orientated, are still based strictly on pyschological fear. Hands where one's basic comprehension dictates that AJ, 1010, JJ, AQ, or 99 in LP warrants an all-in with ~10 - 15BB. And yet, there are also players who will wait MONTHS OR YEARS before finally taking the "plunge" with a hand that good players see as early christmas gifts during mid to late stages in warrants.

I will also add that the most influential posts that I've read which at least make me feel like a major player in most tournaments are the ones that are tough and a little condescending. We are not training to be high school teachers here. We are training to make a killing for $. All you AK posters need to get this straight if you plan on dedicating hours of your time to playing poker.

In turn, excuse the condescension. I don't know who you are, Johnny, but I'd rather have a little kick in the ass with a "spelling demon" error than a grammatical correction without anything poker related to add.

This post is not meant for the regulars. btw. But maybe if someone new reads this today, he will be one step ahead of the game.

Barry