Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM

Default \"Self Exclusion\" and until when

I don't have the statistics with me, but over the past week, I'm down about 18 buy ins in SNGs/Multis. Now, of those 18 buy-ins, I'd say I have lost a substantial stack up 65/35+ in 15 of them. Honestly, save for two sets on the flop against flopped flushes and a couple more occassions which I think were close decisions, I don't think I've ever put a big stack in WB. And, more often than not, my losses are more like 70/30. I think I have been playing some of the best poker this year and have been extracting more value by playing stronger.

Having said that, this downswing has really got me thinking I need a break. It's hard because I'm playing well, but I'm getting really pissed off and can see myself starting to make more small mistakes.

I really don't want to let go of playing now because I feel very connected to the game. But, I don't want to feel this goddamn dread. How long of a break do you suggest I take? Should I not take a break and keep plugging away?

Barry
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: \"Self Exclusion\" and until when

Take a couple of days off and do anything but poker if you think youre starting to make mistakes.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Try playing some other game or format.
You might be surprised.

The time of making money from 1-table SNGs is long gone.
Nowadays even at small stakes the majority of the players have the same general strategy and similar skill level so the edge you might have is extremely small (if any).
This makes SNGs more of a luck oriented/catching card contest/gambling game then any other.

MTTs are still good though.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 PM

taking a break can be really good, it only needs to be a day or two. Have fun in the meantime, take some drugs or something, get laid.
Breaks are very important. I do this on a smaller scale all the time. I will go for a run or something to clear my head after the poker gods [censored] on me.

The trying another format approach could be fun but not the way it was suggested, obv. you are pretty confident you have a solid edge in your games.
I play NL cash games but if I'm tilting or bored sometimes I will play omaha 8 tourneys or something random (usually for very small buyins, just to [censored] around and have fun with poker again)
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Play through it. Keep making the right decisions. What has gone before has no bearing on the future. Taking a break will not "break the spell".
Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM

LOL, of course it won't break the spell.
However, he mentioned it is starting to get to him and he is making small mistakes he wouldn't normally make
Everyone is susceptible to tilt, if you think you aren't then you are lying to yourself
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nowadays even at small stakes the majority of the players have the same general strategy and similar skill level so the edge you might have is extremely small (if any).

This makes SNGs more of a luck oriented/catching card contest/gambling game then any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bunch of rubbish this is. The truly skilled STT players are still consistently grinding out big pay cheques. Just because you can't beat them anymore doesn't mean others aren't.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a bunch of rubbish this is. The truly skilled STT players are still consistently grinding out big pay cheques. Just because you can't beat them anymore doesn't mean others aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep telling that to yourself.
I suggest some data mining and few basic probability classes.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest some data mining and few basic probability classes.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's nice, I suggest you spend a little more time in STTF. STTs have been my bread and butter for almost a year now, that's proof enough for me.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I agree with Towlies, until I started losing every 70/30 under the sun, STTs have been my bread and butter as well. I can't help that the last 6 $20/18s have all ended with me right outside the cash losing a major pot 70/30, but before that, I was pwning the 20s so hard and feel like I will again. Or that I mange to get my opponent to put in 25BB with A6 against A10 or KK v. 108o and lose.

If you think that players in 20 or 30 6max understand "basic strategy," you are dead wrong. I mean, these players do the dumbest [censored] imaginable as long as you manipulate them properly. They call down light as all [censored] [censored], they make poor OOP plays, their flop play is predicatable and just [censored] terrible, and a solid game plan translates into profit in the long run. They could read any goddamn SNG book under the sun, poker is complicated enough so that players who actually know what the [censored] they are doing in real time will still compete well against the average [censored] $20 STT player. With ease.

I haven't made a mistake for a major pot in a long time; I'm just getting called down so [censored] light, finding myself ahead playing big pots, and losing all of them. It sucks, because now I'm on like a 20 buy in downswing (it's so gross). I dunno what to dooooo, but I don't want to stop, because I'm getting my $$ in good. So I just don't care anymore - I'm sticking to how I've played over the past few months where I was killing these games when I got my $$ ahead. When I start making major errors, I will stop.

Barry