Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Default HU cash NL100

Maybe I should just shoot myself in the foot in real time? Did I play this OK? Villain has been moderately aggressive, has slowed down for the past 10 minutes.

Villain (60)
Hero (115)

Villain raises to 3, Hero calls with KQo.

Flop: K 3 5r

Hero checks, Villain bets $5, Hero calls.

Turn: 2 completing rainbow.

Hero checks, Villain bets $15, Hero goes all in.

I didn't want to RR on the flop because given villain's range and his moderately agg. play, I only see him calling me down with better hands. But, I could get another street of value on him against KJ/K10/K9, all within his range, if I check the turn. He may or may not also fire another bullet because he thinks I'm on a mid pair and he's repping a K. It's possible. If he checks back on the turn, I plan to fire a 1/2PSB on the river assuming it's not an ace.

Barry
Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: HU cash NL100

I 3b pre and don't mind a c/r (or cbet if you 3b pre) on the flop. He will/should be felting worse Ks with 60bb effective stacks unless you've both been playing very passively. Also you didn't describe your villain as being a nit? I think you're making it more complicated than it has to be tbh. You're looking to get it in here, and you'll probably have an easier time doing that on the flop than on the turn.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 PM

What does villain think your range is when you c/r flops?

What have villain's betting patterns been when you c/c flop and c/ turn? ie is he always going $5->$15?

for the sake of the next few posters, villain has $37 behind after the $15. With no other information I think i like c/c river >>> c/rai turn
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM

Why not just call the turn and move in on the river? It will probably be less than a PSB. The only scare cards are an Ace or a 4 on the river.

If he has a king, he'll call the river
Old 11-06-2007, 06:02 PM

I like the check/call flop, check-rai turn line better than a flop raise. If we raise the flop, villain might fold middle pairs and probably all air. When we check the turn, we give him room to bluff/try to push us out. the call flop check turn line gives a shortstacked villain the chance to fire another barrel and get more pot-committed with a worse hand than ours.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Shortstacked, if villain has Kx he will get it in probably regardless of our line. But if has been showing some aggression, our objective is to get maximum value from non-top pair, second best hands that might be in villain's range, and raising the flop is definitely NOT the way to accomplish this.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:13 PM

fwiw I think it's more likely for villain to be folding a mid pair to a flop c/c and a turn c/r than a flop raise. Sometimes we miss out on the occasional turn bet with air though.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM

I think you played it fine Barry .

Another alternative is to re-raise pre-flop with K-Q .
Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Hmmmm...I think that a c/c on the river is going to get him to shut down, but if I c/r on the turn, I really put him to a difficult spot. He may start thinking that I'm trying to rep. something, which is much better than giving him the option to lead the river for value (which I don't even think a good OR bad player will do on the river with a weaker king).

Barry
Old 11-06-2007, 06:54 PM

c/c flop. If the turn doesn't give Ax a draw, then I c/c again and push river. Since it did, your line is the best. Against a full stack I'm rr'ing PF, but against a shorty this is fine.