Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: why do you like the music you like?

I enjoy songs that tell a story.

Music from Paul Kelly is probably the best in this regard.

Nick Cave can also tell a great story in a song - each song on Murder Ballads illustrates this well, as does the Lyre of Orpheus. Cave can also set a mood like no-one else.

Then again, when it just has to rock - ACDC.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 AM

It seems like you view "Pump It Up" as a flop or simply a bad song, and that the song is Budden's standard fare. I think you gotta take that song for what it was: a club banger (one that got him a Grammy nod in '03). I urge you to check out any of his "Mood Muzik" mixtapes to get a real sense of how talented of an artist he is.

Having said that, great choice in "Hip Hop is Dead". I didn't really feel it the first time I listened to it, but it really grew on me after a couple more times through. "Blunt Ashes" is my favorite track. It's like a somber, somewhat haunting, funk song; the perfect cut for sparking a dutch in the booth and airing out whatever's on your mind at the time.

John F. Kennedy's
Enemies
Dealt with treachery.
It interests me.
Judy Campbell
In Gucci sandals,
She's what a temptress be.
The death of Ennis Cosby,
What a mystery.
Or the Chicagoan
Harold Washington,
Someone is sabotagin' him

If only I now had in my possession some of what he was smoking when he laid this down...
Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 AM

Forgot to add Stan Ridgeway as another songwriter who can tell a great story
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM

Some great rap songs: Tha Art of Story Tellin' by Outkast.
Really, anything by Outkast, they have always been among my favorites.

Love is Blind and Heaven only Knows by Eve.

Georgia Peach by Rasheeda, ([censored] hilarious).

Stan (most of his later stuff too), by Eminem.

It's true, that most rap stands and falls on it's lyrics, but without a good beat, those lyrics stand on shaky ground. Take for example The Roots. Their lyrics are amazing and they are good musicians since they play instruments, so they have a grounding in music theory, but sometimes that music is god awful.

I think what is amazing about Rap is that they really put forth the image of being uneducated better than anyone else. It is nothing to say that Andre 3000 plays a guitar and piano, and that Dr. Dre went to music school. But if they were educated, then their image would be shot, I guess. All about street credo. Sean Combs and Nas can't be too stupid either, if they are running so many businesses.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's true, that most rap stands and falls on it's lyrics, but without a good beat, those lyrics stand on shaky ground. Take for example The Roots. Their lyrics are amazing and they are good musicians since they play instruments, so they have a grounding in music theory, but sometimes that music is god awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

By later stuff did you mean older? Because his most recent is absolute trash and his earliest is far superior. I do not completely agree about needing good beats. Big L's Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous is one of my favourite albums and the production is quite bad. Of course that is just my taste.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM

Lots of random thoughts on this subject.

I don't listen to much mainstream pop stuff and I own precisely 1 non-Beastie Boys rap/hip hop/whatever album: Ice Cube's Predator. I can't read music but have taught myself piano, bass, and guitar just by playing along with songs I like. I compose my own stuff but need to record my experiments since I can't write it down.

Anyway, I appreciate the mathematical aspect of music - the juxtaposition of instruments, melodies, rhythm, syncopation - moreso than lyrics. I like jazz, R&B, soul, ska, and some rock and pop stuff. I can appreciate bands like Phish or Keller Williams or MMW from a technical perspective - they're all virtuosos - but some of their stuff is too nerdy even for me. It's like "wow, I can play this ridiculously hard riff so look at me!"

This will seem elitist but that's not how I intend it. There are high forms of music and low forms. Likewise, high music can be sublime or it can suck. Low music can be good, groovy, fun or it too can suck. High music is intellectually challenging - think of Brubeck's syncopation or Davis's uncomfortable silences, Beethoven's jousting melodies or Mozart's flurries of notes - while low music is simpler, accessible, real.

My aesthetic sense owes much to Gadamer's notion of play. The aesthetic experience involves the work and its perceiver extending to each other. The work has an implicit set of rules that the perceiver accepts. The perceiver suspends aspects of reality to engage the work. Like playing a game, the game and its players are bound by this relationship. Music has to be experienced. That experience can and does occur on many levels.

So I understand that when I listen to Beethoven's 6th that there are many levels on which I can approach it. I may concentrate on woodwinds or try to isolate the bassoons, or I may focus on the mimetic aspects of melody, or I can try to take in contrasts, etc. And when I listen to Suicidal Tendencies I'm focusing on Mike's funny lyrics or the guitar riff or something.

If high music is fine art, I equate low music with cartoons. Each is enjoyable, but high music can be appreciated in itself whereas low music conveys a message that transcends the form. The Requiem is beautiful musically in the purest sense. One doesn't need to understand Mozart's lyrics to appreciate it. I don't think we can say the same about, say, a Dylan tune. The music serves the message in the latter.

TLDR
Probably not making much sense. Basically, I think there's music and then there's popular music. Both have merit, but for different reasons.

Examples of "high music" from popular artists:
Miles Davis's Kind of Blue album
Molly Hatchet's Dreams I'll Never See
Simon and Garfunkle's I am a Rock
Charles Mingus's Haitian Fight Song
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By later stuff did you mean older? Because his most recent is absolute trash and his earliest is far superior. I do not completely agree about needing good beats. Big L's Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous is one of my favourite albums and the production is quite bad. Of course that is just my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eminem Show had good lyrics, I forgot about Encore and whatever else he made. It would have been easier if you simply FYP'd me.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Even Eminem Show doesn't compare to Marshall Mathers LP or Slim Shady LP imo.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM

I'm a lyrics fan and that would explain why I like rap. But mainstream rap is just so bad that I can't listen to it. It annoys me to no end. I look at rap as an artform, a combination of poetry and music and these mainstream rappers have destroyed the artistic nature of the genre and turned it into cookie cutter, record label manufactured garbage IMO. Oh well.

Beats are important I would say but to me a great beat just can't save poor lyrics.

Me and DaveT probably have opposite views in it that I think a crappy beat can be surpassed by some creative lyrics. And the Roots are the [censored]. Go ?uestlove and Black Thought (one of the most underrated rappers out there)
Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Not to break anyone's crayons, but there's a line in a Morrissey or Smiths tune (not a fan, but had a roommate in college that liked them) that goes:

"any fool can think of words that rhyme"

Pretty much sums up my appreciation for rap. Rap is the budweiser of the music industry. Labels write the tracks and develop the acts that record them. It's Millie Vanillie but more overt. And you guys are buying it. Meh. If it makes you happy, enjoy.