Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: no point in life?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok a few things...Generally speak, get out there and do stuff, [censored] online forums [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. You'll find alot more answers than we could give by going out there and failing miserably in the short term and winning in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And I haven't even been rickrolled so far [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 AM

It sounds like your life sucks, and will probably continue to suck until you pay off your debts. Embrace the suckiness and count the days?

There's now pretty extensive literature on how to cultivate positive affect, e.g. The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt. Try starting with that. Any kind of club/social activity that interests you will probably help.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

I don't pretend to have any real advice for you as I don't know anything about you iother than your post.

However, these two quotes were given to me early on in life. It has helped shape my mental perspective on life and develope a very successful and satisfying career.

1. Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow

Try to do something that you enjoy doing. It may not be much money at first, but time has a way of rewarding those with patience.

2. Do What You Love and You'll Never Have to Work

If you dread waking up everyday, going to the same job and wishing the day would end, you will be in hell on earth.

However, if your job is something you truly enjoy doing, it will not seem like work. You will be getting paid for doing something you would do for free, which is what makes life worth living.

Good luck and I hope you find your path in life.

Rod
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM

"This too shall pass."

Some guy said that. Listen, do whatever it takes to get your degree. You'll need that. Take a loan out.

Then go to korea and teach esl. You'll pay off your debts, save money, and live a carefree expat lifestyle.

Don't buy a car. A car is kryptonite to your finances.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"This too shall pass."

Some guy said that. Listen, do whatever it takes to get your degree. You'll need that. Take a loan out.

Then go to korea and teach esl. You'll pay off your debts, save money, and live a carefree expat lifestyle.

Don't buy a car. A car is kryptonite to your finances.

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] Assuming his finances is Superman :P
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM

Well, you are alive. That's something.
Meh, maybe you're stuck in some sort of existential vacuum.
You're free to make whatever choice(s) you care to. Looking to others to establish some sort of direction, does not free you from making the decision.
Interesting paradox isn't it?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM

Maybe if you hate your job so much you could try to find a new one. It might be equally crappy but the change of pace and learning a new routine might perk you up a bit. And the extra job skills could look good on your resume. Don't just sit around and whine, at least try something different. Most employers don't want someone working for them who is miserable doing the job.

Your situation reminds me a lot of where I was a couple of years ago. In the process of getting my expensive college degree in a useless field, I learned I had no interest in working in said field whatsoever. I pretty much burned my bridges so there is no going back, in a career sense. And I had like $20k in student loans to pay off.

It took a bit of mucking around and I've gone through several odd jobs over the past 3 years, but I am now debt-free and ready to go out and have fun in the world. I also have some solid work references and there are a few jobs I know I can do reasonably well. They are jobs that are in high demand in any large city, so I have considerable flexibility that I would not have in a higher-paying position.

It's a long, lonely road though, I know. But if you can work hard for a few years you will at least be impressed at the progress you have made. You will be proud of yourself in the long run for having dug yourself out of this hole.

Also as others have said you are only 22. That is very young (you will realize this by the time you are in your late 20s). You are supposed to be making mistakes when you are young. People act like they don't but everyone does.

I'd especially advise against getting involved in a serious relationship/marriage/children, at least until you have been out on your own for a few years. You don't know what you're doing yet and you are nowhere close to approaching your maximum value in terms of the caliber of woman you can attract. Don't get sucked in by some hose beast.

I'd also advise against habitual drug/alcohol use -- that will only run up more debt and hurt your health.

& going back to school may not be the answer. It's my belief that college is way overrated. Then again for some jobs you pretty much have to go. But don't go just because you don't know what to do. There is little more disappointing than wasting several years and thousands of dollars, to gain nothing more than a useless piece of paper.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Learn to snowboard, do a winter somewhere snowy, get a seasonaire job, meet a million cool people and find new opportunities. Come spring you'll have a new hobby, loads of new friends and something to look forward to every year. It wont solve your immediate debt problems (unless you are good at poker too) but you'll feel much better about yourself and it looks like that is the important thing you need to address.

Of couse you could replace snowboarding with anything, it's just what I do but I think it's a good choice because it's a really fun, diverse scene and you get to do something that is amazingly fun in beautiful scenery.

I was in a similar boat, not anywhere near as depressed as you sound but working in a job that didn't really have much future and thinking there is no way I can carry on doing it for ever.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM

yeah, a lot of good advice here and like I said before I appreciate every reply. I won't bump this thread again as I plan to take a break from most of the things that I think are annoying me (including spending a large amount of time on these forums.)

So I'll bump it in a few weeks and let everyone know how I'm going :P
Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 PM

i think its never useless to get a degree, I mean alot of functions are available outside of your degree. just because you got one. correct me if im wrong.