Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Starting a new program for myself - Few hints needed plzzz

Hey all glad to be amking my first post in H&F. I have finally joined a gym and plan on going in the latter part of this week (I'm in the UK but that makes no difference to anything) I'm 6'0 ft tall and roughly 165lbs and i was wondering if any of the regulars on here can reccomend what starting weights I should be pressing and lifting?

I haven't excercised since University 2 years ago but I don't want to just pull figures out of the air as I may aswell be wasting my time.

Also I don't know if this is a question you can actually give me an answer to and if it isn't sorry for wasting a minute of your lives [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Starting a new program for myself - Few hints needed plzzz

Start with the barbell and focus on form. Add weight until form begins to break down. There's no hurry to find out exactly where your limits are. For one thing, they are a moving target, for another, you'll quickly get close enough. So take it easy, focus on doing whatever movement it is correctly, and take small steps forward from the naked barbell.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Start with the barbell and focus on form. Add weight until form begins to break down. There's no hurry to find out exactly where your limits are. For one thing, they are a moving target, for another, you'll quickly get close enough. So take it easy, focus on doing whatever movement it is correctly, and take small steps forward from the naked barbell.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true.
also work on moving your own body if you are truly a gym noobie. body weight squats, pushups, pullups, stretching, etc, etc. get comfortable and familiar with your own body while sweating and breathing heavy just to know your limits and what you are able to do. sometimes this is good preventitive medicine. hope that is a help. the weights will take care of themselves like shemp said. J.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Great, this is what I wanted to know really. I maybe shouldn't have figures in my mind yet until I've gone for a while and got used to exercising/lifting/pressing full stop?

I hope I can keep this thread up and show some improvement (which frankly shouldn't be hard :P) and thanks for the quick reply guys.