Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Default flop top 2 but I fold

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($139.55)
MP ($561.40)
CO ($169)
Button ($139.90)
Hero ($209.75)
BB ($95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $13</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $10
Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: flop top 2 but I fold

Any particular reason why? There are so many hands that will raise here... Q9, J9, any flush draw, any straight draw, KQ, QT, etc.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM

not really a particular reason, I just thought I was behind here with the straightpossibilitys and his raise is rather big
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not really a particular reason, I just thought I was behind here with the straightpossibilitys and his raise is rather big

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a pot-sized raise, which is standard for a lot of people, especially when you're playing on Full Tilt with their magic Pot button. I dunno, without some kind of a read, I think you're way ahead of his range.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Read would be helpful, but on such a wet board I'm not folding here. Villain could have any pair with either a straight or flush draw, J9, Q9, any combo draw, or a flopped straight here. Almost everyone raises 99, JJ or QQ preflop so he probably doesn't have a set here.

As an aside, I think that the big raise means he may actually be less likely to have the straight - a lot of poorer players would minraise, or even flat call with the straight here.

It is a difficult spot because so many cards are scare cards on the turn, and you can't really get it all in on the flop, but I think I call and pot any blank turn (probably intending to call a shove, but its difficult to say for sure without any reads). Virtually impossible to say what to do on an 8, 9, T, K or a heart without a read. I would bet 2/3 -3/4 of the pot if I filled up on the turn.

Final point is that, if you are sure enough that he has the straight to fold, you probably have the implied odds to call to catch a Q or a J on the turn - he isn't passing a straight if you do catch.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Hey Inferno,

I don't mind the flop fold as much as some, most of our opponents hands have modest to decent equity (combo pair + draws, fds, etc) or excellent equity (sets, straights), but I'm usually not ready to give up top2 just yet. 3betting would be suicide, though, without a maniac image.

Typically I'd be calling the flop though, because if i hit a Q or J I stand a very strong chance of stacking my opponent. Additionally, many players will reveal their hand strength on the turn/river, near-potting sets/straights and betting smaller / checking with worse, and we can't rule out something like AA/KK that whiffed a LRR, or even someone who is overvaluing AQ.

We have an easy fold, say, if he 2/3 pots turn, shoves river, since it's unlikely he's playing a worse hand that strong and a multi-street bluff in an multiway unraised pot will be quite rare. Our hand is relatively strong and I don't mind putting some chips in to find out of it's good, but I'm not willing to commit my stack to it.

Surf