FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I a racist?
Yes, definitely 47 31.97%
No, they deserve your sentiments 61 41.50%
Not sure 39 26.53%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Strange Question for ACists and libertarians

I don't know why I wanted to know this, but I'm curious.

When you guys are at sporting events and/or other public places where the national anthem is played and it's customary to rise and have some kind of attitude of respectful attention, what do you guys do?

The American national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner, is a rather nice poem that celebrates anti-imperialism, so I can understand why it's not exactly in conflict with your philosophy, and you may not mind observing cultural protocols.

But national anthems are by and large meant to evoke some kind of emotional response and instill a sense of attachment, pride, patriotism, etc. in the host nation state.

So I'm wondering:
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Strange Question for ACists and libertarians

Option 4 was cut off. It should say:

"Sit silently. I won't stand or take my hat off to support this [censored]. They get 30% of my income, now they want me to [censored ] stand, too? What the [censored]. No [censored] way will I be in an extra in my state’s remake of Triumph of the Will. Find yourself another patsy."
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 PM

I generally don't involve myself with such brainless people, but if I do I'll try to make them understand, but only if it's pleasant for myself as well, which is obviously the whole philosophy (no self-sacrifice and such).
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 PM

I stood in silence without hand over heart for the National Anthem but stayed seated during God Bless America at a recent MLB game.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Sporting events?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 PM

I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 AM

If I'm around friends, I stand silently, then I usually whisper, "[censored] America," right at the very end of the anthem, just loudly enough for the one nearest me to hear it.

Edited to add: Can also be replaced with, "[censored] the troops," if there is some sort of formal recognition of American soldiers' presence at the event.

<font color="white"> Edit in white: Tongue-in-cheek, of course. I wish harm on no individual. </font>

Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think the exact same way.

I now cry a little inside when I hear about the land of the free and home of the brave. Those terms have been so bastardized, it's just sad. We as a people have squandered such promise to be an example of all that can be good in the world. No other society in history had the opportunity we did as the last superpower standing, and we flat out blew it, and are blowing it more every day. Watching my fellow countrymen sing those words almost makes me angry that they can be so naive. (Actually, many aren't naive at all, they know full well what they're supporting and don't mind it one bit; e.g., Copernicus and FelixN.)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think the exact same way.

I now cry a little inside when I hear about the land of the free and home of the brave. Those terms have been so bastardized, it's just sad. We as a people have squandered such promise to be an example of all that can be good in the world. No other society in history had the opportunity we did as the last superpower standing, and we flat out blew it, and are blowing it more every day. Watching my fellow countrymen sing those words almost makes me angry that they can be so naive. (Actually, many aren't naive at all, they know full well what they're supporting and don't mind it one bit; e.g., Copernicus and FelixN.)

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT