Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Default what will they sing? - analysis

ok, I was going to boycott the show b/c of the melinda ouster, but I can't help it.

assuming they follow the same format for the finale as last year, it should consist of 2 previously performed songs each and some cheezy pile of stink that the producers foist on them.

Jordin will probably choose "Broken Wing" as one of her two. I would have thought "I who Have Nothing" if she didn't do it again already this week. Her second song is a little harder to figure. "You'll Never Walk Alone" was very popular and well-reviewed by the judges, but it may be too similar in style to "Broken Wing." I'd think she'd choose her best up-tempo song, but she almost always got bad reviews for that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes all the way back to "Give Me One Reason" -- it was pretty well-received, up-tempo, and the contestants are generally pretty attached to the songs they sing in the first few rounds since they're free choice.

For Blake, I figure he'll probably choose "You Give Love a Bad Name" for his super-up-tempo-beatboxy song and either "Time of the Season" or also back to the beginning with "Somewhere Only we Know" as his slower, soft-side song.

Given these selections, I'm not sure it's fair to assume Blake has no shot at this. Jordin is either going to have one sub-par performance or is going to have 3 songs that all sound similar (I assume her "new" song will also be some belt-y song about how special being in the American Idol finale is). Blake could have two pretty good performances that will both be very current, he should have the edge in the new song for obvious reasons (unless maybe it starts sounding redundant after two "updated" versions of old songs already).

Also, I don't really buy the argument that Blake doesn't want to win. The 2nd place finisher still has to sign with Simon's company, and simply doesn't get as much exposure or help with their career, and they're forever "2nd place American Idol finisher." It's probably better to finish 3rd or worse than 2nd.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: what will they sing? - analysis

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't really buy the argument that Blake doesn't want to win. The 2nd place finisher still has to sign with Simon's company

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah - I did not know that. If this is true I don't see why Blake would prefer not to win Idol.

[ QUOTE ]
For Blake, I figure he'll probably choose "You Give Love a Bad Name" for his super-up-tempo-beatboxy song and either "Time of the Season" or also back to the beginning with "Somewhere Only we Know" as his slower, soft-side song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right to me - man I linked his Keane performance in another thread - it is just... it is bad (which goes to show that the judges must have some influence on me, I remembered it as being pretty good, and they lauded him for it).

-Al
Old 05-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: what will they sing? - analysis

[ QUOTE ]

Jordin will probably choose "Broken Wing" as one of her two.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the surest bet of the whole season. Jordin used "Broken Wing" as her grand finale in some of her (many) previous competitions like "American Searches for It's Most Talented Junior Idol Kid Star" (or something like that).