Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: What to do... What to do...

[ QUOTE ]
you're welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my sarcasm was uncalled for, but how can you justify folding after investing so much? I can't see villain having AA or KK nearly enough to do this.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:55 PM

I like reraising preflop with AK almost all the time, especially in tournaments, because you will miss the flop so many times and you really need to try to accumulate chips with every hand you enter.

However, I can understand calling preflop here because there are no other callers and it would suck for you to reraise here and then have him call and have to play this hand out of position.

However, once you don't reraise preflop, I'm not looking to play a big pot here unless I hit the flop hard. I'd lead for 500 and see what happens. Most people seem to tighten up on monotone flops and if he comes alive here, I'd get out of the hand.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 PM

it's only a quarter of his stack and after such a display of strength, his opponent must have upwards of queens to move in.

the downside of this move is when the villain holds aces and just calls the reraise preflop.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:01 PM

OK I'll throw some thoughts in at this point.

I don't like a preflop reraise in this situation because I'm not looking to flip here based on my stack size and the early blind level. Also if reraising, then folding to a preflop push from villain just isn't a consideration for me so I like calling here and seeing the flop.

OK I've hit my Ace on a draw scary board. I believe that in most cases I'm ahead here. So what's my goal? I'm OOP which is of utmost concern to me.

Help me discern the value of leading this flop if that's your preferred play.

Does leading at this flop and deciding what to do based on villains reaction really tell us anything for sure? For example; we pot bet $500 and villain reraises to $1000, what did we learn? 2 black QQ could do that. OR, we pot bet and villain pushes, a non-suited big Ace could do that as might KK with a heart in which case we'd be well ahead of both hands.

For those who want to ck/call down how likely is it that you'll make it to a showdown and actually win the pot? Only a weak villain will allow you to get there on the cheap. If you're in villains position isn't this an "easy" pot to win by outplaying your opponent if a scare card hits on later streets?

Do you agree that we're ahead of most of villains ranges on this flop?

Does a ck-raise push look good to anybody? Assume we ck and villain bets $500. If we push now what does it look like we have? Does it look like an Ace, does it look like a draw? Do we get a non-suited AQ to call us? Do we have any fold equity against a good drawing hand that we wouldn't mind seeing fold but would be a favorite against if they called? Does a push ever discourage 2 red QQ's from calling?

Please continue on.......
Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Well, since the Ah is on board, it is almost impossible that Hero is behind, and the villan is drawing to a flush.

Since the Ah is out, I am willing to assume he doesnt have the flush now, if he raised UG with KQh, nh him.

The only way I would ever CR-push this flop is if he made a big overbet here, which will almost always mean KK QQ with a heart. Even then, I think calling down is fine. I think we are ahead here, and there is <50% chance that he is drawing to more than 3 outs. I want to win as much as possible, but also keep the pot managable in case he gets agro when the 4th heart falls.

Take a second, and look at a reasonable PF range for him. Then take another look at the board, this is a fairly good board for us. The most likely hands that a villan is betting strong here are AX, Xh. AK, Kh is our only really scary hand (other than a set, or AT), and that is a very small % of his range.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM

doylestown, i think i addressed all of those points in my post. if i missed something or if it isn't clear, let me know