Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: NL - Continuation bet with a draw

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably missing some other types, but these are some the kinds of guys with exploitable habbits that I play with at my local card room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply, but it was kind of obvious, to me at least. I was looking to get some theory on how to play against players who can use their heads for something other than banging walls [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For example what would you do if your opponent was a very tricky, gear changing, top player?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line, there are no hard and fast rules. It is situation dependent. You just have to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are hard rules. Of course extreme situations require extreme adaptation, and if you feel like adding that up, please do so. But your reply isn't productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if what you quoted was my entire reply, I'd agree with you. Of course, you completely left out the factors I would consider in whether to bet the flop.

And so, your response is the one that is unproductive. In fact, your original post leaves out so much information that no one can give you any concrete advice.

But what do I know. You are the soon to be pro.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM

What was the first mistake? Betting and getting called/raised? They don't always need to fold for your bluff to be profitable. In this particular situation, a half-pot bet only needs to win the pot uncontested 1/3 of the time to break even. This doesn't even take into account the fact that you could also draw out on your opponent if he does call.

They'd have to be calling/raising here pretty often for something like a half-pot bet to be a mistake.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'd have to be calling/raising here pretty often for something like a half-pot bet to be a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to measure that expectation against that of checking behind.

Also have in mind that if you cbet your draws, they'll be more inclined to cr you, which means you lose expectation on some of your pure bluffs... So even if betting has a larger expectation than checking, it may still be wrong.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Rules of a continuation bet:

1. You was the aggressor before the flop
2. It is checked to you (you got one or two opponents)
3. There are only low cards like 825.
4. There is no street draw possibility or flush draw possibility.
5. The opponent should have missed the flop.
6. You also should have missed the flop.
7. Then you have to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only valid points you mentioned were 2 and 1 if you change it to "last aggressor before the flop". I have no idea where you get the other things from.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I just skipped through that post.

In fact it's often better to cbet when a high card comes so you can actually represent something other than a high pocket pair.

It would also depend on how much does your opponent just call your raise with high cards. (doesn't apply if you rred)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your reply, but it was kind of obvious, to me at least. I was looking to get some theory on how to play against players who can use their heads for something other than banging walls [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For example what would you do if your opponent was a very tricky, gear changing, top player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lot of factors. How likely is the flop to have hit them? Are you drawing to the nuts? Have you seen them check raise in this situation a good bit?

If you're drawing to the nuts and they're a trappy player, you should be more inclined to check it. What's the point of risking a check raise and getting priced off of your hand?

If you're drawing to a non nuts hand though, you should be more likely to start trying to take it down. In that case, mix it up some. Not sure there's an entirely correct answer in that situation, just going to have to go with your reads and vary your play some.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Rules of a continuation bet:

1. You was the aggressor before the flop
2. It is checked to you (you got one or two opponents)
3. There are only low cards like 825.
4. There is no street draw possibility or flush draw possibility.
5. The opponent should have missed the flop.
6. You also should have missed the flop.
7. Then you have to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not saying that those are the parameters that determine if a bet IS a continuation bet. He's telling you when one will be most likely to work.

Any time you were the preflop agressor, don't end up with a made hand of some type, and take the lead post flop, it is a continuation bet. It may be a semi bluff as well, but that doesn't disqualify it from being a continuation.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to measure that expectation against that of checking behind.

Also have in mind that if you cbet your draws, they'll be more inclined to cr you, which means you lose expectation on some of your pure bluffs... So even if betting has a larger expectation than checking, it may still be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you always do the same thing, of course that'll happen. Which is why you need to vary it up some.

If he starts cr'ing all of your "c-bets", he's going to get himself into a world of trouble when you "c-bet" A's or K's.

You have position here, and it's going to cost him more to figure out what you have than vice versa if you've mixed it up well enough.