Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: NL - Continuation bet with a draw

How would it be hard to get away from your hand? If the odds are good, play. If not, fold.

If I'm the PFR in this spot, I'm going to be betting pretty often.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 PM

of course u have to bet .
first if u dont bet and u get ur flush how much will u win?

second if he just call maybe with a pair the middle or the third (i think he should raise with top pair)
u know that if a high card comes and the turn he will chek again and giving u your odds ,because his call at the flop means that ge put you on 2 high cards so a high card can only scared him.

third if u dont do a continuation bet in this case, when will u do a continuation bet ?
u have the avantage of beeing the preflop agressor and u know that the flop help ur opponents only 33 percent of the time (for getting at least a pair )

fourth dont try to use the harrington tournament play in that case
because in tournament not loossing chips are more important than winning chips .
Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM

Against only one opponent I'd always be betting here. If he doesn't call a bet on the flop then its unlikely that he'll be putting any money in to the pot when you hit your flush.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 PM

It depends who is in the hand with me.

Some villains love to check-raise with TP, even TPWK, as well as with some draws to snap off a cb. Versus a guy like this, I take the free card.

Some villains are playing strictly fit or fold. They won't call a cb with any less than TPWK, and c-r thier top two pairs or better. They also don't c-r with draws. Versus these very straight forward players, I cb. Even if he calls with a top pair hand, he will be OOP and possibly have a river draw to a nut flush for me to get another bet in on the turn where he may not believe I made my flush since I bet the flop.

Some villains are calling stations on the flop with any piece of the flop or any draw, but they get spooked on later streets for larger bets. Some get particularly spooked on the river. So vs these villains, a 3/4 pot cb might be good since he will fold with nothing and call with any number of hands that I might be able to bluff him off of on the turn and/or river.

Some villains are complete calling stations who will call on all streets for too much money with bottom two-pair, TPWK, or even 2nd pair if he suspects a "steal." Versus this type of player, I would take a free card and value bet only if I hit. At that point, I would value bet a little more than I might otherwise to make it look like I'm stealing to try and get him to call for a little extra.

I'm probably missing some other types, but these are some the kinds of guys with exploitable habbits that I play with at my local card room.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:14 AM

HOH is about tournaments
Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 AM

Forget the entry about the continuation bets from my side!

I understanded that very wrong. Read all the stuff again about continuation bets...

Sorry for the wrong hints...
Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 AM

Found a topic in NLHETAP which is "Betting yourself off a Hand".

That solves your problem a little bit. The main hints here are whether check behind or semi-bluffing is better.

You should read this section.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 AM

I bet you harrington bets that flop the vast majority of the time in tournaments.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would it be hard to get away from your hand? If the odds are good, play. If not, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a lot of you fall for this argument. But it seems as if you consider that because you made a mistake earlier in the hand and now you have odds to play, then the earlier mistake wasn't a mistake. But that's not the way it goes. You need odds on your continuation bet plus your call or re-raise after he check/raises. If the sum of the expectation from those two exceeds the positive expectation of checking, you bet.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line, there are no hard and fast rules. It is situation dependent. You just have to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are hard rules. Of course extreme situations require extreme adaptation, and if you feel like adding that up, please do so. But your reply isn't productive.