Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: First hand at the Final Table - Clash of the Big Stacks

[ QUOTE ]
I like a reraise to about 125k preflop, if you think you can take it down.
I even like a check behind on the flop, for this exact situation. Sure you're not happy if an overcard comes on the turn but it's better than being faced with a tough decision for so much of your stack when you're in good shape.
I tend to play much more passively when I'm against another big stack late. I'd rather keep the pot small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raised to 48K and you have about 480K. I reraise to 96K. This represents a big pair and maintains the advantage of position if villain calls. This is going to be very hard for villain to play unless he hits the flop hard. If villain puts in a 3rd raise, it is an easy fold.

If you reraise to 125K, you are pot commiting yourself. You have a difficult decision if villain pushes, as he might have 99 or AQ-AK and you are getting good pot odds. If villain calls, you pretty much have to put the rest in on the flop whatever hits. Since, villain is first to act, he may push any flop, as he is pot committed, leaving you with a difficult decision.

I think a minireraise is best, but a push is better than raising to 125K. When you push, you leave all the difficult decsions to your opponent. Problem is AK and JJ-AA will call. However, villain is probably not raising from CO with big stack with one of those hands.

I think this is like the 10xBB rule for initial raises. Don't make a raise that pot commits you without pushing.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:42 PM

I like checking the flop and seeing the turn. A brick turn will greatly reduce his potential for overcards and flush draw. Also, if you are ahead you may be able to draw reasonable bets on 4th and 5th street.

I agree the play here is very read dependent. There are players I inst-call here and there are others I fold to.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Lots of good stuff in this thread...nice post.

My own little $0.02 on this, is that very, very rarely will I see a PFR check/fold a flop HU, especially online.

If the PFR is checking HU, he is looking for you to bet so he can maximize his hand.

TT is a hand that needs protection, but his flop check screams "PLEASE BET", so I check, and re-evaluate the turn.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 PM

To discuss the preflop part, I don't think the flat call is terrible. The problem is the stack sizes. If the money was shallower, you could reraise allin. If it was deeper, you could make a standard reraise.

As it is, I think a minireraise is the best reraise, since it allows you to fold to a 3rd raise and represents AA with position.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it is, I think a minireraise is the best reraise, since it allows you to fold to a 3rd raise and represents AA with position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want a chance to fold TT preflop when it can break your op if it flops a set? That's a waste of it's value in my opinion.

Preflop, I think it's close between re-raising and calling due to the ratios, but a call is fine here and probably the better play. On the flop, if I bet, I fold to the allin check-raise given the odds. Probably close or buried much more often than I have them buried.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:30 PM

I can't see him with anything better than a flush draw or a hand like A9...the bet is too big for him to have hit a set...I think this is a call.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:55 PM

I make this move with an overpair or flush draw, but i know people that make this move with AK/AQ all the time which is more likely.

I reraise preflop and if he just calls id say its most probable an AK if he pushes allin id put him on an overpair.

Tough one...