Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Default PartyPoker 100% CPU usage

Has anyone found a way to block the ads and animations within Partypoker so their client doesn't use all the available CPU cycles anymore?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker 100% CPU usage

Well, on further analysis, what's really slowing down this app is not the ads within it or the bad beat jackpot counter, it's the Partybets scrolling text at the bottom. Now if anyone could figure out a way to disable it!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, on further analysis, what's really slowing down this app is not the ads within it or the bad beat jackpot counter, it's the Partybets scrolling text at the bottom. Now if anyone could figure out a way to disable it!

[/ QUOTE ]
You're 100% right on this and it is that that's causing the CPU spikes. I managed to cause it to crash and as soon as it crashed then CPU use went back to a nice constant 4-5%!

I have tried the "standard" ahk methods to hide/disable the window, but sadly not work.

The only choice is to send a message to the window using WM_COMMAND, but here is the tedious bit... You have to run this script through all possible 65000 values to see which is the value that will either crash or exit the window:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
SendMode Input

DetectHiddenText, off

SetTitleMatchMode 2

LobbyWindowTitle = Poker Lobby ; identify poker lobby substring
WinGet, lobbyID, ID, %LobbyWindowTitle%

loop
{
; WM_COMMAND=0x111,
Alt:=a_index+1000
PostMessage, 0x111 , %Alt%, 0, Internet Explorer_Server3, ahk_id%lobbyID%
msgbox, , , %Alt%, 0.05
}
</pre><hr />
I managed to get upto 1000 which is the most irritating bit because most of the commands are low values and they open up stuff like the html source or the ctrl-f seach window, etc, but I strongly suspect that the exit command is much higher.

There should be a method to figure out the IDs to send using Spy++ and a copy of IE, but for some reason all the IDs I find this way are wrong (I suspect Party is using IE6 and I'm using IE7 or something).

I'll see if I can find the ID, but I've already got a headache and that flashing messagebox is not nice, so feel free to try and get the ID:

1) Open up Party.
2) Run the script and cover up the flashing messagebox with your hand.
3) Keep watching the PartyBets box and wait until something happens (ie: it crashes, it goes away or stops scrolling).
4) Quickly note the approximate number that is in the messagebox when this happened.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 AM

Ok, so after two PC crashes and a near epileptic fit watching the flashing message box, I have a fix:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>; PartyBets scrolling-spam killer
; ===============================
; Simply run this app to kill the CPU hogging PartyBets scrolling-spam bar.
; - CPU useage on my machine goes from 5%-25% spikes right down to constant 0%-1%!
; - Must be logged in for it to work (not sure why?).

SetTitleMatchMode 2

; Kill PartyBets spam window (WM_COMMAND = 0x111, ID_EXIT=2126).
PostMessage, 0x111 , 2126, 0, Internet Explorer_Server3, Poker Lobby
</pre><hr />

Basically just run the script after you have logged in and the PartyBets bar will quit (and leave a while rectangle where it was before).

It's amazing how much CPU that thing was using! On my dual core machine then Party at rest was regularly spiking at 25%+ (1/2 a core) and ran at about 5% all the time. After removing that hunk of [censored] then Party is resting nicely at 0%-1% all the time now!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks Tankjoo, that was a good catch and without you spotting the correlation between the PartyBets bar and the high CPU I doubt anybody else would have found it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps somebody can add my code into the DeMonster AHK script?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Thank you very much for this Juk (and Tank) - what a difference.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Sweet, thank you JukofYork, you rock man.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I thought I had turned on email notifying if anyone replies to this thread, but I guess I didn't.