Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: GG Colorado Rockies - Widow gets playoff share

[ QUOTE ]
Also,

Who would usually get that share?

Is some clubhouse dude or a batboy getting hosed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, some batboy is getting slightly less by virtue of their being one more share. (IIRC the 04 sox voted like half of Fenway at least a partial share). There isn't a limited number of shares, there's just a pie of x size that the players get to decide how to divvy up.

Pretty sure that half shares at least for every day support staff (trainers, equipment guys, groundscrew, batboys) is pretty standard.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 PM

I don't see a story about it anywhere on ESPN's MLB front page. Yahoo's either...

Plus, they blow every story out of proportion. Thats just what they do...
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lfs,

I understand what you're saying. The amount of positive PR that they are going to get does not equal the amount of effort they put into giving that women this share. I think it's awesome that they did this, but I am sure the ESPN hype machine will turn this into something it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. No one's saying it's not a nice gesture, just that it's not all it's going to be made out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the players didn't ask for anyone to make anything out of this at all. Yes, the media's blowing it way out of proportion, but that doesn't mean some nit has to come on here and say "hey, the players are filthy stinkin' rich, if they were *really* charitable, they'd give her a million each" (paraphrasing).
Old 10-05-2007, 05:13 PM

I don't understand when someone does something nice that people feel motivation to say "Well, it wasn't THAT nice"
Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golic said this morning that it's not about the money, because Coolidge's insurance money is far more than any playoff share.
He said it's more of a symbolic move for his 2 kids so that 20 years from now, they can remember 1 good thing that happened this year; especially if the Rockies win the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand when someone does something nice that people feel motivation to say "Well, it wasn't THAT nice"

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent posts.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a rebuttal of their action as much as it's a response to the stupid comments that you'll hear from the MSM about it. I probably would have had nothing to say about this until I heard Greenberg acting like somebody should have won a nobel prize.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and if they hadn't given any money at all no one in this thread would have noticed
Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's cool. No, I'm not sending her any money. If I stood to make an extra $362,000 in the next month and I knew her, hell yes I would. It's very nice of them all. I have no idea why for some reason I felt the need to point out that a bunch of super-rich people donating $15,000 to a widow who I'm sure really needs the money doesn't exactly make them all Mother Theresas, but there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Coolbaugh wasn't even in the Rox organization when damn near any of those players came up (he was a new hire this year, I believe). There is NOTHING less than charitable about this whole damn thing.

As for super rich people - check the salaries of the overall roster. Almost 30-40% of that roster is making MLB minimums or barely above. But that's not the point. A bunch of players are giving a woman whose husband they barely knew (if at all), lots of monies. Don't be a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was with the Tulsa Drillers the Rockiew Double-A affiliate for 19 days after replacing Orlando Merced as the hitting coach.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lfs,

I understand what you're saying. The amount of positive PR that they are going to get does not equal the amount of effort they put into giving that women this share. I think it's awesome that they did this, but I am sure the ESPN hype machine will turn this into something it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. No one's saying it's not a nice gesture, just that it's not all it's going to be made out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it's every bit it'll be made out to be. A pregnant woman with two children lost her husband, and a group of people are just giving her potentially $350k+.

I have a feeling she considers them heroes, and given that she's the only person with any meaningful perspective on this situation, I'm gonna have to agree.

This is a life-changing event for the family, both financially and emotionally. Perhaps you may feel it's blown out of proportion when you're on the outside looking in, but if you put yourself in that family's shoes I think you'll find it's an overwhelming, probably incomprehensible act of kindness.